Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer question/problem...?

bigq
    Motherboard or CPU, but tuff to say without actual diags.
    Don't you just love all the different answers

Essexive G's
    Shut it down and bring it back up in safe mode. If the monitor still goes out to lunch it's the monitor, or video card/MB,( I say MB only if you plug your monitor into the MB). If the monitor stays on insafe mode, you need to think about when the problem started, and if you made some changes to the pc ( like adding new or different hardware, or new software). Does the operating system load to the desktop before the monitor takes a hike? If not you could have a resource conflict that would keep the video drivers from loading.
    Good luck with it!

C-2
    A quick fix...
    Office Depot. Emachine tower for $236, no rebate crap or strings attached.
    60g hard drive
    256 RAM
    DVD/RW combo
    2.8 ghz Intel celeron
    Yeah, I know, Celeron...but $236. Ebay here I come!!!!!

HammerDown
    BTW - when you try to turn off, a hard shutoff requires you to hold the button for several seconds for many computers.
    This I know...but did nothing, still had to pull the plug.
    So far it seems ok, time will tell.

Bense468
    Hammer. Try another monitor. Sounds like Motherboard or CPU went bad.
    If all else fails a 12 guage will do the trick.
    The way todays prices are, you are better off probably purchasing a new PC then trying to fix it. I wouldn't buy the e-machines above, because I would spend more money then that and get a better system.

HammerDown
    Hammer.
    The way todays prices are, you are better off probably purchasing a new PC then trying to fix it. I wouldn't buy the e-machines above, because I would spend more money then that and get a better system.
    I know the grand or so spent on this Dell some 3 years ago may not seem like much to some of the computer people here...but...am I to really just toss it aside and buy something else... How can it not be worth fixing?
    Thanks for the feedback...Ray

HammerDown
    Don't you just love all the different answers
    Answering...as I bang my head against the wall...no!

scarabrick2
    run a virus scan nortans 2005.
    Mine did it and the virus 32 something made the comp act like that.
    Do a full back up before you do anything else. Take your back up to a comp store and have it checked for a virus

Tom Brown
    This I know...but did nothing, still had to pull the plug.
    So far it seems ok, time will tell.
    Make sure your CPU fan is operating. It could be dead. Check all your fans to make sure they rotate when on but it's the CPU fan that's suspect.
    The next most likely suspect, IMO, is the power supply. There is an ATX to Dell adapter available at NewEgg so you don't need to pay the big money for a new Dell supply.

C-2
    Hammer. Try another monitor. Sounds like Motherboard or CPU went bad.
    If all else fails a 12 guage will do the trick.
    Kinda takes the value out of $236 doesn't it?
    I too have had my computer for the past three years and the $236 computer is faster. I think for another $99 you get 500mb ram, a faster processor, 80g hard drive and DVD burner, wi-fi ready, Windows XP home. You would still be $600 ahead of where you were 3 YEARS AGO. That's a bargain.
    Still a smoking deal, but I'm waiting for the $599 laptop.
    AND BTW, stop messing with your computer if you're thinking about new one. Otherwise, you might screw it up even more and you might not be able to recover stuff - at least now you still have that option.
    I swear FM put the jinx on you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast