Thread: pop,pop,pop

corporatejet
    Hi, everyone
    I have a 19' Tayor ss. Im using a Edlebrock 4BL. On a 454 BBC. When the secondaries open, on occasion I get a loud popping sound fron the carb or air cleaner area. Again this only happens at WOT.If anyone has any ideas let me know.
    Thanks
    Corporatejet

froggystyle
    Lean. Big time. Look for a fuel delivery issue. Clogged filter, torn diaphragm on a manual pump. Bad ground on an electric. Clogged carb inlet, rust in the pickup, you name it. Bet you $5 you find something.

SeaSlut
    Go one step richer on your secondary jets or metering rods, read plugs

froggystyle
    Or that...

jaqquuuz
    Any chance of water in the gas ?

spectras only
    jaquuuzz,water contamination causing pop,pop too.Check the fuel filter canister in the bottom of the fuelpump,when it gets 1/2 full of water you'll get popping in the carb.I would recommend a full size water separator at the fuel shut off valve that has a large capacity to contain water.As froggy said ,a lean condition maybe the culprit too.Check your fuel level in the bowls while running the engine at idle.Mr Gasket has the clear plugs for the replacement of the brass ones.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 25, 2001).]

Cas42
    Corporate,
    I had the same problem when I put the Edelbrock on my BBC. This past weekend I did some testing and found that the 6547 metering rods with the OE primary jets with the .110 secondary jets work rather well on my boat. It might be a good place for you to start.
    SteveC

turbo
    this happened to me on a different engine. it was a bent exhaust push rod. slightly bent but bent.remove valve covers and roll them in place thats how I found my problem.