Thread: How many cc are my heads?

Aquaholic
    I have a set of stock (never been shaved) 454 heads. They are castings 353049. Does anyone Know how many CC's these heads are? I'm trying to choose the correct speed pro pistons to get me 10-1 comp. I know these aren't the best race heads, but this is my first jet boat and I don't want too much speed. Oh and another question, do the stock 454 rods hold up to the abuse of the high RPM's that a jet boat requires? Thanks for any help!!

Jordy
    353049.....73-84...oval port...OPEN chamber...454, 122cc chamber, 255/119cc ports
    Stock they're 122, but they're also at least 20 years old. How sure are you they've never been machined? Having them CC'ed is cheap insurance down the road. Good luck.

Jordy is correct. Stated CC size is what it should be. . .it usually is not what it actually is. Just had 2 sets of new after market heads ported for a customer and they were 4cc large on one pair and 6 cc large on the other.
    Also, what is your deck to piston clearance, .000", +.005", -.010". All of which will effect static compression.

oh, and buy the way. You have a good set of heads. They are capable of making 650HP.
    Chris

kojac
    Jordy is correct. Stated CC size is what it should be. . .it usually is not what it actually is. Just had 2 sets of new after market heads ported for a customer and they were 4cc large on one pair and 6 cc large on the other.
    Also, what is your deck to piston clearance, .000", +.005", -.010". All of which will effect static compression.
    I have a friend who did small block motors for racing that mandated stock heads. He use to call all the chevy suppliers when picking heads for the best components. He said he would pick the heads that had the most cfm's and send all the others back. He indicated to me that the stock heads could vary in cfm's and cc's a great deal. Only one of the reasons two chevy's same make,model off of the showroom floor would run different speeds.
    My brother has been running stock rods for 15 years with no problems 10.5.1 compression with weekend blast at 5600 rpm's. When I had that motor I put nitrous on it and it went to 6500 rpm's. Still running fine.
    kojac