Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Channel Parking

All IN
    If you drink even 1 beer-You shouldn't drive a boat.

nyeti
    Being my Condo backs up to the channel, trust me the walk ins are the problem. The city has allowed the landscaping of the park to go to crap with overgrowth that is a public toilet/hotel room/pot smoking area. They allow the building of the four story buildings that block the view of London Bridge from London Bridge Park, and also prevent air flow (genius decision :hammerhea ).
    The "non-mooring" areas will simply become super party areas like the "Sandbar". I can see huge crowds in those 100 yard spots with beer bongs, stripping, and other "non-family" public park activities that they are trying to prevent. The whole thing is insane. Most of the folks who are too young to drink, tend not to be boat owners. LHC needs to pull their weight on fixing what they do have control over, and enforcing the laws that are already on the books to eliminate the criminal problem in the channel.

Red Horse
    It seems to me that they (city of Havasu) wants the ability to write tickets to people that can afford to pay them (boaters) and are responsible enough to pay for them. How much you think they can make of a 17 year old punk with a minor in possesion or a little pot charge?? Not much. Hit the boaters. They have the money. Maybe everyone can get together and buy some lake property in Havasu and start their own beach with rules for boaters by boaters.

Kilrtoy
    So are the signs as bad as reported?
    any pics of the signs?

Sherpa
    you guys are commenting only on the "no parking" signage, but they just
    might impose a "no occupy" for the area as well.......... if not, their theory
    will backfire big time since now there will be an open area for gathering
    without boats hindering the amount of people in the area..... kinda like the
    sandbar but in town instead..........
    --Sherpa

Mandelon
    What constitutes "beaching"?.....can you anchor 3 feet out? :hammerhea What a mess. No mooring....then what about beaching?
    Found this on RRL:
    http://www.havasunews.com/content/ar...ews/news02.jpg
    English Village owners are up in arms about portions of the Bridgewater Channel being closed.
    According to city spokesman Charlie Cassens, 27 percent of the available moorings, approximately 200 spots, in the Channel were closed this week per direction of City Council at their May 3 work session.
    However, items brought up at work sessions can not be voted on and Councilman Don Clark is wondering why his suggestion to reduce the number of closed moorings was not considered. He wanted the issue put on the May 10 regular meeting agenda for a vote.
    "They've closed the east bank except for a tiny section," said Mike Sabo, owner of London Bridge Ice Cream. "No one's going to walk all the way from Rotary Park just to get an ice cream."
    Clark said he had notified Mayor Bob Whelan of his wish for more discussion, but the issue was not discussed at the May 10 meeting.
    "There was no vote taken," Clark said on Friday. "But I guess they thought it was a consensus and I thought it was coming back for a vote."
    Clark had suggested a less restrictive plan that only would have affected around 15 percent of the available moorings.
    Capt. Randy McCaleb of the Lake Havasu City Police Department said this particular issue didn't require a vote, which was why it already is being enforced.
    "According to city ordinance, the city manager has the authority to restrict the amount of moorings in the Channel," he said. "We simply took our direction from council."
    City Manager Tim Ernster said he had been down to look at the signs and thought it was a little more than anticipated.
    "We certainly don't want to hurt our businesses down there and we'll be taking a look at this at the next City Council meeting," he said.
    Mayor Bob Whelan said the current signs are not necessarily permanent and that the City Council would be reviewing the new policy at their next meeting on May 24 to decide if any changes need to be made.
    Whelan also said the new policy only was meant for weekends.
    "There was not an intent to restrict (moorings) during the week, just the weekends," he said.
    Ernster concurred, saying the signs will either have to be changed or covered up and that the restrictions may only be for busy holiday weekends, or on an as-needed basis.
    "I've been down there on a Sunday when it isn't too congested," said Ernster. "We may only have to set it up on days when it really gets congested."
    "It's going to affect all of us," said Sabo. "It already has, in fact."
    Tom Felke, co-owner of Shugrue's, said he consider the Bridgewater Channel part of the Lake Havasu City experience and that having Channel activity is part of the charm.
    "If it's a health or safety issue, I have no problem with it," said Felke, "But there's a lot of markets competing for tourist dollars and we don't want to do anything to upset that."
    "It's killing business," said Sabo. "We're going to be dead."
    Whelan said City Council would be taking the concerns of the business owners into account at the next meeting when the policy is reviewed.
    The moorings were restricted as part of a two-phase plan recommended by the police department to better control an increase in outrageous behavior that has caused a rise in arrests, noise and carbon monoxide in the manmade waterway.
    You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com

phebus
    I'll be at the next council meeting telling them that thc CO in the channel made me woozy, the wake from a 36'+ boat knocked me down, and seiing the girl in pasties made me hit the ground hard. All which led to my current back injury, and subsequent back surgery, and they will be facing an upcoming law suit.
    Just trying to help.

OutCole'd
    I'll be at the next council meeting telling them that thc CO in the channel made me woozy, the wake from a 36'+ boat knocked me down, and seiing the girl in pasties made me hit the ground hard. All which led to my current back injury, and subsequent back surgery, and they will be facing an upcoming law suit.
    Just trying to help.
    phebus, your alive....

Scream
    ya wait till they(fish cops) get 40-50 boats rafted up in thompson bay and going off like copper canyon
    Fish Cops? LMAO you're killin me Smalls...lol

Sane Asylum
    Ya just gotta sit it out. Typical "shotgun" approach. Blast everyone to get rid of a "problem". Next season, it will probably all be forgotten. All will be back to normal. They just want to send a message that it could all be over and the channel would just be foot traffic.
    If everyone just holds it together this season and obeys the rules, LE will lighten up. It doesn't mean they won't snap to it if things start to go out of control. They will just get tired of hammering everything afloat and relax.
    Ya think.....??

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678