Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "IP" address? I need to find one.

Panic Button
    There are serveral companies that will spoof addresses for you, they are mainly located in Europe and the former USSR. Good luck on getting any info from them. Also, the HB User agreement needs to be changed, if you release any info to a private party, HB can be also liable for breach of privacy...

Mandelon
    If someone is serious about pursuing slander - proxy, dial, and dhcp logs can be obtained. Tracking someone down is not particularly difficult, the ISPs have facilities to do just that. You have to be serious, though.
    And I used to wonder why all of Tom's ex girlfriends had restraining orders against him..... :hammer2:

rvrhlic
    You can use source like http://www.arin.net/whois/ to see where the IP if from but I seriously doubt without a court order the ISP is going to provide you the information on who the user is. Also, most organizations have a few IPs across the whole group so that adds another element to it.
    Good luck though.

Keith E. Sayre
    You know if someone got on here and trashed me out somehow, that's ok
    and that's the risk that I take by being on these boards and having a rather
    "public" job and a loud crazy truck and nasty Schiada etc. But this guy is bad for business and mean to my customer. That is upsetting. Those of you that know me know that I take my customers thoughts and feelings very seriously.
    My customer had no idea that I was going to put that thread on Hot Boat. I did so knowing that the people at Hot Boat are very educated about boats and would be impressed by such a nice package. I was anticipating a multitude of compliments so that I could show the customer what people thought of his new boat etc. I didn't count on someone ruining the moment for my customer.
    I'm thinking a very public apology on the boards will be sufficient immediately or a very public apology on the boards after a very expensive, long and protracted legal agreement can be reached. Did I mention that it will be expensive?
    Thanks to those of you who have responded. I appreciate your input.
    Now let's get back to boating!
    Keith Sayre

Sixpacked
    Keith, Good luck tracking down that jerk...but tell your customers not to let one jealous fool ruin their high...That is a gorgeous boat! And come on...the guy drives a Bayliner...

Keith E. Sayre
    I'm cooling off a bit now. Just spoke with my customer and he's laughing
    about it. I wonder what goes through peoples minds that make them get
    mean and degrading? Anyone been boating lately?
    Keith Sayre

Sixpacked
    Last weekend ... Beautiful as always here in paradise - I love living here!!

RiverDave
    Keith, I read that guys posts and what he had to say... If you get lucky (which I'm kinda doubting) He may have been stupid enough to just register another name and post from a static IP. Then one of the guys might be able to just tell you what the other user name is and odds are it's somebody you know, or the customer knows becuase he certainly pretended to have intimate knowledge (throwing out names etc..??)
    Overall though, if it's much beyond the situation described above I think I'd just let it go. As much as it sucks, your going to end up putting more energy, time, effort, and eventually money into this thing then it's worth. To quote something you said in your post earlier
    I did so knowing that the people at Hot Boat are very educated about boats and would be impressed by such a nice package.
    Those that "know" .... Know. Anybody that isn't impressed by that package probably isn't as "educated" as we are giving them the benefit of the doubt to be.. If that's the case then their ignorant, and moving to my next point.. If there ignorant who cares what they think? Just like with anything when there's a large group of people, there's always going to be one or two that are just coming from left field. It's these people that literally ruin everything.. Unfortunately we can't shoot these people, so we have to just do our best to ignore them and realize that they are unhappy, miserable, desperate people, and take our satisfaction in knowing that we don't have to go through our lives, living such a pathetic existance.
    By the way with regards to the package, I'm a little curious to see how that drive holds up to the HP?

Dave C
    see I always knew you canatards spoke another language but come on man... speak English... we can't understand a word you just said.
    LakeApe, this idea might hold water if everyone on the internet were plugged into a giant hub. They are not, however. You are so far from my broadcast domain that I can't imagine you even guessing the UUID of my NIC, never mind my MAC.
    If you could figure out my IP address (which I highly doubt you can), you could ping me and a MAC address would be associated with my IP address in your ARP table but that will not be my MAC address. It will be the MAC address of your gateway.

Keith just my .02 here speaking as multi-time slam-ee on this forum... Most this type of bs is transparent to anyone who's interested in meaningful information. Shit talkers with 6 posts don't carry much weight when they come outta the box slingin their crap. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast