Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor Crapping Out..

EliminatorJet
    Took the boat out a couple weeks ago, ran great for a while - not a problem whatsoever for ~45 minutes. All of a sudden the thing started choking, and eventually stalling. Fired it back up, and would inconsistently surge and stall. Every once in a while when starting back up, it would seem like it was running fine then start to have probs again when trying to get on plane. Sounded like a fuel pump issue to me, I'm running an unknown brand mech. fuel pump that a rebuild kit doesn't exist for. (This thing has been leaking before) So I bought a new pump - is there anything else that may be the cause of this? Fuel filter is clean, tanks dont seem to have any debris.
    Matt :rollside:

FHI-prez
    Took the boat out a couple weeks ago, ran great for a while - not a problem whatsoever for ~45 minutes. All of a sudden the thing started choking, and eventually stalling. Fired it back up, and would inconsistently surge and stall. Every once in a while when starting back up, it would seem like it was running fine then start to have probs again when trying to get on plane. Sounded like a fuel pump issue to me, I'm running an unknown brand mech. fuel pump that a rebuild kit doesn't exist for. (This thing has been leaking before) So I bought a new pump - is there anything else that may be the cause of this? Fuel filter is clean, tanks dont seem to have any debris.
    Matt :rollside:
    I'm assuming that you already made sure you don't have water in the fuel as well. Did you check for water in the seperator? Did you check for a loose connection ground/hot to your ignition? Doesn't really sound like a fuel pump problem to me, but I could be wrong. I suppose a bad mech fuel pump could cause what you are experiencing, I've just never dealt with what you are describing with a bad fuel pump.
    Nick

cave
    Do you have a water separator? Did you wash the boat before you took it out? Was the water choppy?

EliminatorJet
    smooth water, full tanks, no separator. If there was water in the fuel, how would that account for it running fine before?

EliminatorJet
    I checked over the electrical before I left, nothing loose.

wet77
    Your question could have many answers, just start the process of elimination one at a time. Water can move around the pick up and or mix in a little and work fine one minute then not the next. Tricky stuff that water is :rollside:
    Had the exact same problem with my 18' jet and I installed a water fuel seperator and it instantly ran better and never did it again

EliminatorJet
    Well i'm still going to install the new fuel pump (electric) and probably pick up a separator, looks like I need to find somewhere to mount it all :idea:

BLEWBAYOU1
    It sounds like water to me. If your fuel line has any dips in it, the water will collect in the low and when it rises all the way up to the top of hose it will injest a load of water then fuel again. I had this problem years ago and it wasn't untill I drained the line into a clear cup that I found the water.
    After you add a water seperater add some Iso-Heat it will remove the water by burning it with the fuel.
    Brian

cave
    I asked those questions 1st because I spent allot of money looking for a problem that was just water in my fuel. I have a nice MSD billet distributer and MSD box 6al now. It all worked out but I wish I would have had someone to tell me to check my fuel out first.
    I had similar symptoms. I had to drain my fuel tanks completely to get all the water out. I thought I had removed enough fuel with water in it but I was wrong. I emptied them both and put on a water fuel separator that has a fluid release valve on the bottom Now I can get the water out when the water gets real rough. I do this on the shore. I bought the water separator from West Marine. Looks like an oil filter but has a clear bottom so I can see the water on the bottom. Doesn't take much water to stop your engine.
    Good luck

victorfb
    with the seperators that dont have the petcock on the bottom, is there any way to remove the water from it? or do you have to buy a new filter/seperator?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast