Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motor Crapping Out..

EliminatorJet
    My dist. is a mallory unilite. Picked up separator at rodesway boats (glendora), i'll install it when I get out to needles this weekend. :-D

FHI-prez
    My dist. is a mallory unilite. Picked up separator at rodesway boats (glendora), i'll install it when I get out to needles this weekend. :-D
    The mallory may be suspect as well. I had a unilite on my engine and it was
    very sensitive to any condensation inside the cap. In fact my motor completely shut off on me a few times at WFO. Talk about a crappy feeling. I threw that POS away after I was positive it was the issue. I would take the cap off, clean it, and it would run like a champ for awhile. As soon as a little moisture got in it, she would cut off again, or just generally run like shyte. I finally had enough, so I pulled it and put in a MSD. The motor hasn't so much as coughed since. I'm not a unilite fan when it comes to boats. This isn't the first unilite I've had either. I've become quite the fan of MSD RTR dizzies tho. In my experience at least, they are very reliable.
    Nick

Tresguey
    i completely agree with FHI-prez. my good friend is in the sales dept of mallory and tells me he gets nothing but bad complaints from the unilight on boats. he himself doesn't use a unilight on his own boat.

Taylor LP
    6 trouble free seasons on my Unilite. I pop the cap and wipe it out at the beginning of the season, no other maintainence.
    I guess I got a good one.
    If you're using a non-marine (red) dist cap, you will get condensation. Try using the marine (209-D) cap instead, it doesn't have a vent hole.

Dan Lorenze
    I have a generic AC Delco canister style fuel filter. Before each season I'll unscrew the bowl and empty it out, there's always a little bit of water in there along with some debris. I'll change the actual filter element once every other year or so. I too had the problem you are expierencing until I got a water seperator and no more problems.
    Dan

EliminatorJet
    Well here's little history on the boat from being stored over the winter, then some follow up -
    I had the boat stored outdoors (thought i could be cheap with 3 covers) at a gated storage place victorville..Well some fu'kers got into the yard and slit some holes in my cover to siphon gas out. Not a huge loss except my cover has holes, but they left the gas caps open This was right before our heavy rain season, so quite a bit of water got in.. I didn't think all that much got in so I just filled the tanks again and went on my way.
    I got the new fuel pump and separator installed, along with a regulator and inline pressure gauge. Fired right up, and ran great for about 5 mins. Checked the separator, and it was FULL. I estimate I dumped a total of 2 gallons of water from that separator. Finally ran 1 tank dry, and the other pretty low, and its been running great since. Thanks for the help guys!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Well here's little history on the boat from being stored over the winter, then some follow up -
    I had the boat stored outdoors (thought i could be cheap with 3 covers) at a gated storage place victorville..Well some fu'kers got into the yard and slit some holes in my cover to siphon gas out. Not a huge loss except my cover has holes, but they left the gas caps open This was right before our heavy rain season, so quite a bit of water got in.. I didn't think all that much got in so I just filled the tanks again and went on my way.
    I got the new fuel pump and separator installed, along with a regulator and inline pressure gauge. Fired right up, and ran great for about 5 mins. Checked the separator, and it was FULL. I estimate I dumped a total of 2 gallons of water from that separator. Finally ran 1 tank dry, and the other pretty low, and its been running great since. Thanks for the help guys!
    Suck the tank dry with a drill pump. Get rid of that water. It can cause alot of serious problems including "detonation". Glad she is running good for ya

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123