Thread: cooling system plumbing

standard
    Can someone describe the proper cooling system hose routing? The engine is a big block chevy with water-injection headers and
    jet drive. I'm starting from scatch and don't have any marine experience. Also, any advice on running the engine while the boat is trailered would be appreciated. Should I
    just leave the driveshaft off when I break-in the engine?

phillyray
    Standard,here's how I run my setup,now keep in mind I use 2 water dumps out the boat to keep block pressure down,no need for a psi regulator!...I also use and like the REX Marine Thermostate kit,(works great).O.K....out of the pump,5/8 hose with a ball valve at the pump, the 5/8 main feed hose runs under the motor,then into a T were each line then goes to the front of the engine,(water pump inlet's)Screw in T's each side.Stay with me.5/8's out off those T's and they go to the top of the REX Tower,(2-upper,2 lower),Now the lower ports,REX TOWER just get dumped out the back,all 5/8'hose...Now to feed the Headers,off of the Main supply out of the pump (5/8's) I tee'ed off with a 1/2 hose,that runs into the BASSETT-TEE,out of the T down to 3/8 hose and into the Header feed lines.I also use a ball valve on the 1/2 header line and 2 3/8 ball valves at the injection lines,this gives me total control of the psi to even flow to the headers.This setup workes great for me,I'am sure other's may do it differnt.

standard
    Thank-you PHILLYRAY for the advice. Just what I was looking for. Any advice about
    running the engine while the boat is out of
    the water? Thank-you in advance!

phillyray
    Standard,this seems to be a touchy subject with some jetters.I'll just tell ya this,when I rebult my pump some 6 years ago I set it up with 020 clearance at the impellar,my clearance to this day is the same.I do run my motor out of water WITH WATER FEEDING THE PUMP + MOTOR,MOST GOING TO THE PUMP!!!...I dont do this very often + when I do its usually under one minute!or just enough to make sure the motor will fire before I drag it to the river.

phillyray
    Standard,when I run it there is a garden hose hooked up!!!

rstover1
    Standard this is what I think dont ever run the motor out of the water with the pump hooked up 1.Water helps balance the jet 2. what kind of grit is in the pump from sitting or being towed. I dont think its a good idea also impeller clearance is not the only issue water keeps your shaft cool running it for to long out of the water could result in bushing and shaft damadge. Thats just what I think some may disagree good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of jet boating http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

wrightnow
    Standard, Just my .02 but I would not use REX Marine Thermostate kitor any key. If you think about it, in a car with a thermostate the water pump is push water around until it get to hot and open, but on a boat the water is not Circulating no pump. So the water at the thermostate is not the same temp as back by piston 8. You can go to basset's web site and they have a drawing on how to set-up ot pipes.