Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow Rig Audio Question -

Essex502
    I've picked up a new 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab and have replaced the speakers with MB Quart 6x9's in the front and MB Quart 5.25's in the back. Both are mounted in the factory locations in the doors. Now I want to upgrade the head unit and add an amp. I am thinking a JL Audio amp to mount under the seat. I see there is a 300/2 and 300/4. New neophyte self thinks the 300/4 would be better to drive the speakers I used since they are different sizes and capabilities. Am I right in my thinking or full of $hit? Also, what would be a good head unit for this setup without spending a ton of money - and I don't care about satellite radio or MP3 capability. No subs in the picture for now as I haven't come up with a good location for them.
    Thanks in advance.

rivercrazy
    I'd go with that 4 channel. In a car it will provide you with more flexibility. You could either wire up all 4 channels and turn down the gains on the back speakers (for proper front stage SQ), or run the back speakers off the head unit and bridge the amp to the front speakers for LOTS of headroom.

AZmike
    Yeah get a 4 channel, it's better to have the extra channels just in case. I've always used sony headunits in all my vehicles. The quality is excellent for the price.

NOTALENT
    U should talk to WYRD...he has the same truck..with a killer system..

Essex502
    Thanks guys....it looks like the 4 channel will be the one I order.

Essex502
    To resurect an older thread....
    I went to talk to a dealer about putting in the JL Audio 300/4 amp and a head unit in my new Dodge Ram and the dealer suggested switching to a Autotek Street Machine SX-480 instead. He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek? The JL Audio was $499 versus the Autotek @ $299 (his prices). They wanted another $75 for wiring and misc. + $150 for the installation. I already have 2 MB Quart DTE 169 6x9 speakers in the front of the cab and 2 MB Quart DKE 113 5-1/4 speakers in the rear. The dealer only needs to mount the amp and wire it up. Do these prices sound competitive and what do you guys think about the switch to Autotek. I wasn't necessarily looking to save $200 but if the quality and performance is nearly the same then why not? I was looking to drive this with the Sony CDX-F7715 head unit.
    Comments?

ROZ
    He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek?
    Maybe inventory was an issue.... Our retail guys call it swiss.... sell what's in stock, stupid
    I thinks Mr. N audio stocks the autotek. A pm may be worth it...

WaTchTheGelCoat
    I went to talk to a dealer about putting in the JL Audio 300/4 amp and a head unit in my new Dodge Ram and the dealer suggested switching to a Autotek Street Machine SX-480 instead. He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek? The JL Audio was $499 versus the Autotek @ $299 (his prices). They wanted another $75 for wiring and misc. + $150 for the installation. I already have 2 MB Quart DTE 169 6x9 speakers in the front of the cab and 2 MB Quart DKE 113 5-1/4 speakers in the rear. The dealer only needs to mount the amp and wire it up. Do these prices sound competitive and what do you guys think about the switch to Autotek. I wasn't necessarily looking to save $200 but if the quality and performance is nearly the same then why not? I was looking to drive this with the Sony CDX-F7715 head unit.
    Comments?
    Let me guess, Car Toyz in Havasu??

Essex502
    Let me guess, Car Toyz in Havasu??
    How did you know? It was Car Toyz. Is there something I'm missing?

Havasu_Dreamin
    What the hell you need all that stuff for!?!?!?!? You only tow 4 miles! LMAO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast