Thread: How bad is this????

mile2885
    :cry: Well, it finally happened to me. While on the lake the other day crusing around I heard a stange noise from the engine.... Didn't think much of it but it ran a little rough and idled higher than usual. Put it on the trailer, checked compression..... all were good except #1. Pulled the valve cover and found that both rods for #1 cyl were bent/broke and the rockers were off the valves. Pulled the intake manifold and head. There was water in the oil. Piston looks good. Damage probably from water in the cylinder Can I get away with having the heads redone or should I dig further into the engine?? I really can't afford to rebuild the entire engine. What is the possibility that I bent a connecting rod?? Looks like it's time for a banderlog valve setup..... Lucky I didn't drop a valve!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mannnnnnnn bad news. :jawdrop: Well, I'd be at least wondering if there was any connecting rod damage (bending). There's a lot of force a running engine can put on a rod that get's hydrauliced. There was a tight enough lock, for long enough that 2 valves refused to open. At the least, I'd be certain that the oil was pushed out of that rod when it locked and kept going upwards. Since nothing else bad happened you apparently did not spin the rod bearing .... yet. I'd sure have a look at the lower end. Sorry, wish I could feel differently.

72 Hondo
    :cry: Well, it finally happened to me. While on the lake the other day crusing around I heard a stange noise from the engine.... Didn't think much of it but it ran a little rough and idled higher than usual. Put it on the trailer, checked compression..... all were good except #1. Pulled the valve cover and found that both rods for #1 cyl were bent/broke and the rockers were off the valves. Pulled the intake manifold and head. There was water in the oil. Piston looks good. Damage probably from water in the cylinder Can I get away with having the heads redone or should I dig further into the engine?? I really can't afford to rebuild the entire engine. What is the possibility that I bent a connecting rod?? Looks like it's time for a banderlog valve setup..... Lucky I didn't drop a valve!
    I have an old book from an old man that calculates approx. force and stress in an engine. It gives you an idea that maybe there could be more than meets the eye. The book has proven its self many times. If you want to know PM me with:
    Approx. RPM At the time you heard it
    Bore x Stroke
    comp ratio
    clearance at TDC (if known)
    Approx. water PSI
    Check your head gasket for any tell tale signs of where the water came from Because, theres another scale to find the volume of water from the size of the hole and pressure behind it.
    GARY.
    IT MAY NOT BE THAT BAD...

mile2885
    Here are some picts. Check em out see what you think. Look close on the pict were you see the rockers. You can see that the top of the rod is gone. engine picts (http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...r=2629&cat=500)

blown428fe
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...29IMGP0777.JPG http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...29IMGP0771.JPG
    I see the end of the pushrod is just about gone, what have you found so far?
    What did the head gasket look like?

mile2885
    Head gasket looked good. I'm almost 100% sure that it was from the valve (globe) being messed with.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Maaaaaaaaaaannn. :frown: Once you get all the damages sorted out, I think I'd be replacing that lifter (or 2) as well. That force on a locked valve had to be hard on them. I sure hope you don't have any bad news in the lower end.

72 Hondo
    It looks to me as if the valve is actually sucked down from the keepers. Maybe the keepers stripped and allowed the valve to hang down about an extra .030 or more but, I dont see any marks on the valve pockets. Just a suggestion to check for spring binding. Over reving caused by pump cavitation making the valves float.