Thread: any electricians?

riverroyal
    ive got a travel trailer/toy hauler electrical question regarding 30/50 amp service at my rv park in havasu,,,anyone?

WYRD
    Fire away

Sane Asylum
    ive got a travel trailer/toy hauler electrical question regarding 30/50 amp service at my rv park in havasu,,,anyone?
    Gourdhead...........

riverroyal
    my weekend warrior is set up for 50 amp,due to 2 a/c units,the park only has 30 amp service,so to run both I need to fire up the generator,this usually happens between 3 and 8 pm,to cool it down.Heres my question,the trailer has a 50 amp cord with a 30 to 50 adaptor on it for park power,thats no prob,when I need the generator the trailer has a 50 amp female box which that same cord plugs into,theres no auto switch over like my old trailer.So is there a way to use both park power and generator power togther?Is there a wye that i can use and take power from both sources,plug both sources together,then fire up the generator when needed?...will this over "amp" something,will I create 80 amps to my trailer breaker box thus causing problems?It sound lazy but its kinda a bitch everytime in need both a/c units,I kill all the power while I switch it over,refrig etc...thanks,his may be a stupid electical question,Im no sparky

WYRD
    my weekend warrior is set up for 50 amp,due to 2 a/c units,the park only has 30 amp service,so to run both I need to fire up the generator,this usually happens between 3 and 8 pm,to cool it down.Heres my question,the trailer has a 50 amp cord with a 30 to 50 adaptor on it for park power,thats no prob,when I need the generator the trailer has a 50 amp female box which that same cord plugs into,theres no auto switch over like my old trailer.So is there a way to use both park power and generator power togther?Is there a wye that i can use and take power from both sources,plug both sources together,then fire up the generator when needed?...will this over "amp" something,will I create 80 amps to my trailer breaker box thus causing problems?It sound lazy but its kinda a bitch everytime in need both a/c units,I kill all the power while I switch it over,refrig etc...thanks,his may be a stupid electical question,Im no sparky
    No ye power comes from two different sources so you can't run both of them at the same time. Run all of the appliances and get an amp probe on them, I doubt you are over 30 amps with the two AC units as long as nothing else is pluged in. The worse thing that will happen is tripping the 30A main (assuming the breaker is good)

riverroyal
    i ran both a/c last weekend and the breaker tripped at the park box,,,my refrig was on ,should that be on propane to help?

WYRD
    i ran both a/c last weekend and the breaker tripped at the park box,,,my refrig was on ,should that be on propane to help?
    Yes that would def help. Other than that you will just have to run the generator to use both units.

riverroyal
    kinda what i figured,oh well,small price to pay to be at the river!,,I heard i may be a bit hot this weekend,be there next wednesday! :eat:

Mandelon
    Separate the second AC unit so its on its own circuit. Hook up a plug and connect it to the next space's power...... :mix:

Jordy
    Wiring in something to hook your generator to the parks power would be bad. At the very best case you'll smoke the alternator (as in the electricity producing part of your generator, not the battery charging alternator that you're thinking of), and it just gets worse from there. That's why all the back up systems run a transfer switch so the two won't meet.
    If you wanted to get really fancy you could get an electronic transfer style switch that would allow you to peak shave, that is, it would run off the park's electricity until the load got up around 25-28 amps, then it would start pulling power from the generator to make up the difference. The downside, actually there are a couple, would be first of all, the cost, and secondly, the fact that your generator would have to be running pretty much all the time, unless you got really fancy and put an auto start system on it. Then when the load got up to a set point, the generator would fire up and then start peak shaving.
    How's that for more information than you know what to do with?