Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olds 455 oil Restrictors

crzyhotrod
    Anyone out here ever use the 455 Olds oil restrictor kit offered by Mondello?
    I'm also looking for a used 10 qt oil pan for a 455 olds. We keep eating the bottom end of the olds and ppl have said to go to the restrictor kit offered by mondello. Any takers on this question and anyone have the pan??

james s
    Haven't used the kit yet, but will be here shortly. Am tearing down my Olds this winter, and due to the oiling issues I had last summer I'm definitely installing the restrictors.
    I will also be buying their marine pan kit, and will be parting with my 8qt Milodon pan, if you're interested!!!

oldphart
    I have used the restricter kit. there are actually 2 the one for solid cams that has 4 restricters and one with 3 for hydraulic cams. I really didnt notice any difference but the location of the oil pressure port is so bad that they always show poor pressure. Of most importance with these motors is rod side clearance.the big pan is a must as when pulling slow off plane you can easilly suck the stock pan dry

jstwkd
    the motor that i pulled out of the eliminator has the kit in seems to work fine it also uses modello oil free adjustable push rods and cam thust bearing dont know a whole lot about olds motors thats why it for sale

travis hathaway
    crzyhotrod yes, i have used the restrictors,the cam thurst bearing, the 10 qt oil pan, hi volume oil pump, relieved rods, arp rod bolts, arp main studs, forged pistons and after the third rebuild the engine continues to spin con rod bearings. currently praying for Chevy. lol Trav

Jetty 468
    Ran the Olds 4 year's and lost the bottom 3 times . Harder to find part's and when you do find them can cost you more . All the down time and cost to do it over and over you can have a BBC in there and make more HP with a little work and make it through a summer without worrying WHEN the bottom will let go !!!!!!!! I have read it and heard it that the Olds can be set up right to sit in a jet boat but have not seen it yet ! Set back is paying to switch out everything to go to BBC but it was the best thing I ever did !!!

TaylorLP20
    The alternative is mortgaging your house, and giving your first born child to Joe Mondello. For us po' folk a BBC is a more logical choice.
    Good luck with your Olds!
    TLP

Flat Screwd
    Hey Crazy, I run an Olds for 2 years with no problems. Most people dont pay attention to the oil presure gage, or if it starts to drop they blame it on the gage. I run restrictors on the mains and lifters. "Solid roller" Mondello recomends milling grooves in the big end of the connecting rod to let the oil return eazier to the pan. Anouther thing to concider is a high FLOW oil pump. One thing to remember is that Olds have huge mains and rod jurnals so that encreaces the surface speed so good oil is a must. straight 30 at a minimum. My new motor has a 425 ofset ground to a BBC rod journal steel crank, allum. rods, SBC 400 pistons ,one piece billit main girdell "all 5 mains" o-ring block sporting hevelly ported SBO heads.
    So heres what I say " dare to be different". If you got an idea try it .Hell Olds are uncharted teritory. Dont be just another BBC limp wristed buy my parts from a catalog and have sombody else tune it boat owner.

crzyhotrod
    Originally posted by Flat Screwd:
    Hey Crazy, I run an Olds for 2 years with no problems. Most people dont pay attention to the oil presure gage, or if it starts to drop they blame it on the gage. I run restrictors on the mains and lifters. "Solid roller" Mondello recomends milling grooves in the big end of the connecting rod to let the oil return eazier to the pan. Anouther thing to concider is a high FLOW oil pump. One thing to remember is that Olds have huge mains and rod jurnals so that encreaces the surface speed so good oil is a must. straight 30 at a minimum. My new motor has a 425 ofset ground to a BBC rod journal steel crank, allum. rods, SBC 400 pistons ,one piece billit main girdell "all 5 mains" o-ring block sporting hevelly ported SBO heads.
    So heres what I say " dare to be different". If you got an idea try it .Hell Olds are uncharted teritory. Dont be just another BBC limp wristed buy my parts from a catalog and have sombody else tune it boat owner.Well mondello built this thing and its been a good motor when its run--gonna stick with it for next year and then by 2003 I'll have my Elimiantor Scorpion and Blower motor going by then. Either way--I gotta have a boat for spring or moma will shoot me and feed me to the turtles!
    I appreicate it all--but just in case, I've got a mark IV 4-bolt main, 4.00 crank and a set of oval port semi-open chamber 427 heads...just collecting dust!

Flat Screwd
    Crazy, HP is HP and TQ is TQ it dosnt matter how you get it weather its big ford , mopar, chevy, olds or whatever tickles your fancy. But just one thing to remember is that you can throw all the horse power you want at your boat ,but if you pump is shit that guy with a stock 300hp harmin marine big ford with a tight pump will still kick your azz. So my advice is to get your pump looked at , set up your bottom with proper hardware. Thats money well spent.After all boat is the foundation for the torque monster your going to install. And if the olds doesnt work for you than your pump and drive train will ready to knock the crap out of the next motor .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast