Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSB or Marine Plywood

oldphart
    I'm installing a false floor in my day cruiser and only want to do it once. Did it years ago in a tahiti and used marine plywood then glassed it. Now I,m about to do the same but I'm told that 1. Marine plywood is special order and pricey as hell and that OSB will work as well. either way I plan to glass all sides. any thoughts?

spectras only
    Don't bother with plywood .Get King Starbord [3/4 "] or Kelron .I did my 24 Spectra with Kelron and put snap in carpet.Never have to worry about rot again.

Plasticman31
    I work for a plastic's company that sell's a material that's called Kelron, or maybe you've heard of as Starboard. We sell a ton of this stuff to all the major boat manufactures in Calif. I think they use it for there seat's and side panels, but i have read a brochure about it and it's some very amazing stuff. You can cut, drill, etc like you were using plywood, but it will out last your upholstry ten times over. I can check Monday morning and get you a price, i can probably get you some at cost. I know it comes in a lot of different thicknesses, so let me know what your looking for.
    Kris

BLEWBAYOU1
    IF YOU DO GO WITH MARINE PLYWOOD, RESIN ALL SIDES REAL GOOD,THAT PLYWOOD REALY SUCKS THAT STUFF UP.BRIAN

77charger
    osb is no good with water it will cause the clue to seperate.go with plywood and resin it good.

oldphart
    plastic man, do you know what kind of retail outlet would sell the plastic board? sounds like it would be lighter than wood too

Plasticman31
    I'm sorry oldfart, but we have never sold it to any retail stores, and i've never seen it anywhere else. we sell to Sanger, Mariah, Brendella, etc and a couple of yacht builders near Oregan. We do have a location in San Jose that sell's to the public, but i could't get it at cost through there. If your still interested the company i work for is called GE Polymershapes, just call them and tell them what you want. I'll check tomorrow on price and get back to you.
    Kris

spectras only
    Oldphart ,the boatbuilders here use this material .There's only two wholesalers here that sells to the public.Kelron is coming from Toronto canada,and it would cost too much to ship ,if you order from them direct.I found the local wholesaler through the yellow pages under plastics,so it wasn't too expensive compared to marine ply and resin ,not to mention labour and mess that goes along with preparations.I'm sure Plasticman could find the source sooner or later to help you.

racingrascal
    Oldphart let me know if you decide to go with Marine Plywood. I might be able to save you some money, and get it cut to size and resined for you. Shoot me an e-mail if you want me to check on it for you.
    Andy

Plasticman31
    Oldfart,
    Ok, I asked my structured guy about buying it from a retail place in your area, and he said that he does not know of anyone that would have it, and has never sold to a retail establishment before. I did get a price though,
    Kelron - .500 48x96 = $42.00 a sheet
    Kelron - .375 48x96 = $65.00 a sheet
    These are prices i can get it for, if your still interested e-mail me, we have it in stock here in Fresno.
    Thank you,
    Kris Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast