Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Boat Registration Fees!

Waldo
    Me too!
    I just renewed last month... :supp:

gnarley
    I would rather give my fees to Arizona then California. Geez, Cali gets enough from already!
    True, but that's the price you pay to live and work in this state. If you don't like it you can always move, we all have choices. You and everyone else who try to dodge paying taxes by registering your things elsewhere only make the problem worse. If you can't pay the taxes on your toys where you live can you really afford them? When anyone licenses anything out of state you are defrauding California of tax dollars and you are also putting more pressure on the rest of the residents who are taxpayers. By defrauding the state of those funds you are part of the problem. I don't like paying the share that I do, but I still pay. If you can't afford to pay the tax where you live maybe you really can't afford your toys?

Essex502
    True, but that's the price you pay to live and work in this state. If you don't like it you can always move, we all have choices. You and everyone else who try to dodge paying taxes by registering your things elsewhere only make the problem worse. If you can't pay the taxes on your toys where you live can you really afford them? When anyone licenses anything out of state you are defrauding California of tax dollars and you are also putting more pressure on the rest of the residents who are taxpayers. By defrauding the state of those funds you are part of the problem. I don't like paying the share that I do, but I still pay. If you can't afford to pay the tax where you live maybe you really can't afford your toys?
    Gnarley...
    Not all of us that register our boat in AZ are "dodging" our taxes. I for one - like many others - are REQUIRED by USGC regulations to register the boat in the state where we predominantly use or moor the boat. Since we have a house in LHC and the boat is ALWAYS stored in LHC and we boat predominantly on the Colorado river and the lakes formed by it, we are COMPLYING with USCG to register in AZ.
    What I take issue on is the personal property tax on boats and planes in CA. When someone buys a house in CA you don't pay sales tax because you are taxed annually via a property tax. On a boat or plane, you not only pay sales tax - in my case upwards of $11K on the next boat - but are also dinged for property tax annually as well. TO me this is double-dipping and taxing the same property twice. Once on transfer and then again annually. When we registered out boat outside of CA we did it completely by the law in CA - out of CA on January 1st and continually stored and almost always used outside CA or in a joint waterway. No fraud here, amigo. Just common sense use of the tax code and the rules of the USCG.

gnarley
    Essex 502, I know there are a few people who are required to register the way you have as stated by the USCG, I have no beef with that. There are a lot of other people who defraud and they’re the ones who add to the problem. Double dipping sure sucks but what the hell can you legally do about it? I would rather give my tax dollars to the state I live in then send them out of state where it isn't helping the state where I have chosen to live.

Essex502
    Essex 502, I know there are a few people who are required to register the way you have as stated by the USCG, I have no beef with that. There are a lot of other people who defraud and they’re the ones who add to the problem. Double dipping sure sucks but what the hell can you legally do about it? I would rather give my tax dollars to the state I live in then send them out of state where it isn't helping the state where I have chosen to live.
    Yeah...the cheaters that store their boat in CA, boat part time in AZ or NV and then register their boat out of state are DEFRAUDING the county where they live in CA. No argument from me. I took it upon myself to store our boat out of state even before we boat our first house in LHC. There are many on this forum that do the same but there are also many who cheat and store their boat in CA register it in AZ.
    What can we do about the double-dipping? Nothing. It's another way to take from the "better off" who can afford the luxury items such as a boat or plane and give to the "less well off" who can't. This property tax money is taken by the county the resident who pays it lives in and I would assume goes into the general fund.

Wonderboy
    Gnarley...
    What I take issue on is the personal property tax on boats and planes in CA. When someone buys a house in CA you don't pay sales tax because you are taxed annually via a property tax. On a boat or plane, you not only pay sales tax - in my case upwards of $11K on the next boat - but are also dinged for property tax annually as well. TO me this is double-dipping and taxing the same property twice. Once on transfer and then again annually. When we registered out boat outside of CA we did it completely by the law in CA - out of CA on January 1st and continually stored and almost always used outside CA or in a joint waterway. No fraud here, amigo. Just common sense use of the tax code and the rules of the USCG.
    Think about this: The "property tax" you mention used to be called Luxury Tax. People called BS on it so they just changed the name to property tax. And like boatcop said why give money for boating amenities in Cali that you'll never use. :burningm:

HM
    I love the media spin of "tax dodgers" on people who legally reduce and eliminate taxes. California is one of the last states to have personal property tax, and if you can legally eliminate this tax, then why would you not? What...that is not the spirit of the law or something?
    Fock CA taxes. The only taxes they get from me are property taxes and sales taxes.

JBmagic
    I love the media spin of "tax dodgers" on people who legally reduce and eliminate taxes. California is one of the last states to have personal property tax, and if you can legally eliminate this tax, then why would you not? What...that is not the spirit of the law or something?
    Fock CA taxes. The only taxes they get from me are property taxes and sales taxes.
    Although I live in California I pay reg. fees to AZ; that said, what am I paying to the Golden State to pay my "fair share"??
    Income Tax, Property Tax, Special Assesments, Sales Tax, Gasoline Tax, Sin Tax-Liquor and Cigs, blah, blah blah.
    If I can shave a little tax bill legally, Hell Yeah!

Mrs CP 19
    Since we bost in AZ and own property in AZ, we have had our boats registered there for 10 years or so now. Because we are not AZ residents, I have no problem paying the higher fees.
    For those of you who have been boating there for awhile, have you noticed how many boats are AZ registered these days? Used to be the majority were CA. We have noticed the # of AZ tagged boats going up every year....Az registration is yearly, in the month you initially register.

jbtrailerjim
    I would much rather pay money to Arizona for my registration. It is where I boat 100% of the time anyway.
    At least I know when I'm paying the Arizona Fish and Game, thats where the money is going. Not like in California where the money is put in some kind of general fund.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast