Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable play

tahitijet
    I noticed today that now all my cables have slop in them.. The forward/reverse, diverter, and steering all move at least 1/2" in there jacket before the control moves. for example at center i can move the nozzle left and right at least a 1/2" each way before the wheel moves and with the diverter fully locked up i can lift on the nozzle about a 1/2" as well. Is this normal? I've tried adjustments on both ends and it doesn't seem to get any better.

steelcomp
    Yup. That's the space between the inside of the cable housing and the cable itself. I bought all new everything, including rack and steering cable, helm, everything, only to find the same thing. Kinda sucks. I'm not into sloppy steering at 100, but I guess that's what you get with that type of steering. Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in driving and control, though.

berk
    Yup. That's the space between the inside of the cable housing and the cable itself. I bought all new everything, including rack and steering cable, helm, everything, only to find the same thing. Kinda sucks. I'm not into sloppy steering at 100, but I guess that's what you get with that type of steering. Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in driving and control, though.
    i wonder how a double cable rack and pinion drives. i find it hard to believe that a pull/pull cable system is the best for feel. if so why dont you see them more often?
    one thing you can do to help a cable is to secure the housing all the way down, so it cant snake around under tension. helps a bit.

steelcomp
    one thing you can do to help a cable is to secure the housing all the way down, so it cant snake around under tension. helps a bit.
    That's a true statement!

Sangster
    :idea: ....80 Bahner Tunnel/ 467 BBC ... 100mph.. Must be some big ponies..

SmokinLowriderSS
    I suspect there's quite a number of big ponies there Sangster.

steelcomp
    :idea: ....80 Bahner Tunnel/ 467 BBC ... 100mph.. Must be some big ponies..
    Naw, not really. That is with a full interior, cast iron heads and a flat tappet cam, though. Honestly never did break the 100 mark, but knocked on high nineties with no set up time in full lake trim.
    Is there a point to your post? Was there a question there?

Sangster
    Slap them Canfields on there... They gotta help... :idea: :idea: :idea:

steelcomp
    Slap them Canfields on there... They gotta help... :idea: :idea: :idea:
    Oh yeah!! Canfields, roller, Dart TR, and no interior 'cept a couple a 'glass buckets. That's a weight loss of at least 100 lbs. I set back the pump and MPD's workin on a stainless B.
    Any guesses?

Sangster
    :idea: ...You can bring it up to CFW to find out..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast