Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transom plate

Floored
    Is there an easy was to unweld these from the transom. That silicone isn't loosening up very easy for me to pull pump for some maintenence. Its been stuck there for 6 yrs and I don't want to damage anything (myself). Thanks

steelcomp
    Is there an easy was to unweld these from the transom. That silicone isn't loosening up very easy for me to pull pump for some maintenence. Its been stuck there for 6 yrs and I don't want to damage anything (myself). Thanks
    Nope! :notam: It's nothing but a pain in the arse.

Floored
    Well, another fantasy shot to heck thanks

try heating the area around the pump with a propane torch & pry the pump up with a short crow bar...heat will loosen the silicone up...worked for me n/p

Floored
    I'm game. this :hammer2: wasn't working :frown:

MudPumper
    try heating the area around the pump with a propane torch & pry the pump up with a short crow bar...heat will loosen the silicone up...worked for me n/p
    If I was trying this route, I think I would use a heat gun before putting an open flame on my nice Powder and Gel Coat. JMO :wink:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I just pulled 2 pumps out. One was a dominator from 96. I cut the silicone with a razorblade following the transom adapter (several times). Next I used a couple of small tiped flathead screwdrivers and a hammer to drive then in.I then pryed on it slowly. I made sure that my hand was between the transom and the screwdriver so the gell coat wasnt damaged. It took a little time but the hulls or transom adapters werent damaged.If you cant get it floored I can come give you a hand in a few days. let me know
    Michael

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I would NOT use any heat on my boat at all!!!!!!!!!

Floored
    I finally got it, lotta words my MOM doesn't like so good she is in Illinois. Front bearing went on pump so its all apart and time to spend the bucks. Then good for another 6 years. :idea:

Never tried it personally but have been told a guitar string works well to cut the silicone without damaging the gel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast