Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Press Ques.

Hallett19
    does that rhyme ? anyways, I run 20-50 mobil 1 in my 460, it has a lifter tick which causes rpm drop at high R's. My question is, if I am at 4000 rpm's, and it reads a little over 30 psi on the guage, is that bad considering I run synth. oil ?

Allan Gorneault
    I have had a problem with oil pressure on my ford 460 engine. Oil pressure started at 60 psi @ 4600 rpm in the begining of the year , dropped to 40 mid season and finally to 20 psi at 4600 rpm at the end of the year. Problem was the pressure relief spring broke in 4 pieces. Melling told me it was a metalergical problem with the spring .

mister460
    It is VERY bad juju if you don't have at least 10lbs of pressure for every 1000rpm. Find the problem and fix it!

Hydro-Thunder
    mister 460 do you think I can get away with a stock oil pan with a high volume pump or will it suck the pan dry while running some RRRR's?
    Thanks for the help
    Jesse
    [This message has been edited by Hydro-Thunder (edited February 20, 2002).]

Hallett19
    same thing happened to me with the pressure drop, it kicked ass at first, then started tapering off, now I think that might be what is causing the lifter tick if they arent getting enough pressure, because could a lifter being callapsed and/or messed up cause a drop in oil press. ??

1quickjet
    Hallet19, Last year in my 19' Eliminator Sprint with mildy built 460 Ford, I launched the boat and started to cruise up river (Parker AZ). About a mile or two up river when the motor warmed up, the oil press started dropping slowly. The farther I drove, the more it dropped untill finally about 20lbs, when I shut it off. I let it cool down and restarted, and the press was back up. I got back to the the trailer safely and when I got it back home, I called Steve at ProBoat. He suggested I drain the 20w-50 and use a straight 50 weight. I took his advice and used Valvoline (I think) 50 weight racing oil (not synthetic). From then on I never had a problem (60-70lbs). My Chevy in the new boat doesn't seem to have a problem. I don't know exactly what went on that day, but running that straight 50 weight fixed it and it had great idle and speed press from then on. Just a suggestion you might try, or look into more. Good Luck!

77charger
    mine starts off high when cold but drops about 10 pounds when warm and is at 40 at idle.never a problem.My old motor never had more than 60 when warm and dropped to 20 at idle but that motor i had machined with more clearance but i followed the 10 pounds per 1000 rule 5k with 60 pounds of oil=s ok.

timitunnel
    I strongly recomend aginst strait weight oil.The Extra wear during start up is not worth it. If your motor is mechanicly sound multi weight oils are far supirior. Tim

77charger
    btw i run 20-50

spectras only
    I ran Penzoil 40 for the last 13 years ,engine still running 55 pounds pressure at cruise , 65 pounds at WOT . BTW I have a high volume oil pump.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited February 22, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast