Thread: I am now officialy a Jet boater

Mighty Thor
    I got the CVX 20 in the water, got the engine fired and even though it was makin lifter noise and would pop occasionally (not sure whats up with that) I backed her away from the dock and we went several yards upriver, turned around and went back down. Couldn't get the engine to rev high enough to get up on plane and now I got water in the oil, but I have officialy driven my very own jet boat on the water. Yep, life is good. Now I gotta go find an engine so I can run one and build another.

Duane HTP
    Before you throw that one away, check out the rocker arms and pushrods for problems, also broken valve springs. Maybe fix it and try it again. A Ford is real bad about sucking water into the oil when not all of the cylinders are firing. That may be the only water problem you have. It's worth a try.

Lake Ape
    Let me know if you need a "back up" hull! If so I have one running one available!
    CVX-20 (http://members.cox.net/ryan.bailey/)
    http://members.cox.net/ryan.bailey/P1010113.JPG

Mighty Thor
    Before you throw that one away, check out the rocker arms and pushrods for problems, also broken valve springs. Maybe fix it and try it again. A Ford is real bad about sucking water into the oil when not all of the cylinders are firing. That may be the only water problem you have. It's worth a try.
    Thanks Duane I will sure do that I Hope to have one engine running in the boat and one being built for later (still have a Hondo laying around) This one definitely has some lifter/valve noise on one side and at one point was poping internally but that sort of came and went. It also is leaking oil out the rear of the intake so I am gonna have to pull that anyhow. At on point it made a funny noise like something hitting the oil pan but that also only lasted for a second and it ran the same after that so I am not sure what that was either. This engine was supposed to be out of this boat, but that turned out to be untrue. I honestly don't know what it is or was, so this was sort of a test firing just to see if it would even start. I know the pump works so that is a plus right there.

Tahiti350
    Thor,
    Sounds like some of the valves may be hanging open. I know most Furds have non adjustable valve trains (hyd lifter motors), so if you have valve noise, it could have tight guides (rusty valves), or bent valves.
    But, if it runs it may be worth tinkering with, If not use the "Mighty Hammer" on it :messedup:

Mighty Thor
    I have been thinking about What happned on the water and about what you all have been saying and the Sticking valve or valves theroy is starting to make some real sense. It would account for the popping inside the engine as well as the funky ticking and even the one "Ding on the oil pan" noise (piston to valve contact maybe) I will be pulling the valve covers in the next day or so and give it a good looksee. In the mean time thanks to evreyone for your input. I am sure I am headed on the right path now.