Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am my own worst enemy... (BEWARE-Long, but a good laugh at my expense!)

Tahiti350
    Looks like the rod bearing are a little cooked. Should be shiny silver, adn the one with spots is imbedded crap. Take the crank and have it checked for size, and if it's okay have it polished and put it all back together.
    If the oil press "suddenly" dropped it may have been holding the oil in the top end, and pulling air, which would explain the blackened bearings and the knock that went away.
    Good luck with it, and BE CAREFUL!!!!

Flip
    Main bearings. #4 (from the front) to be exact. There was a nice piece of shrapnel sitting in the oiling hole. :notam:
    So I guess it's time to have the crank polished and order up a gasket and bearing kit. Sucks. I'd be less pissed if I hadn't cause all this carnage myself. Dumbass.
    I'm in the big debate on whether to have to heads and block magnafluxed now. Everything "looks" fine with the naked eye. What do you guys think?
    I really didn't want this to turn in to a full rebuild project, especially now at the end of may. But I guess I shit my own shorts on this one. :cry:

berk
    Main bearings. #4 (from the front) to be exact. There was a nice piece of shrapnel sitting in the oiling hole. :notam:
    So I guess it's time to have the crank polished and order up a gasket and bearing kit. Sucks. I'd be less pissed if I hadn't cause all this carnage myself. Dumbass.
    I'm in the big debate on whether to have to heads and block magnafluxed now. Everything "looks" fine with the naked eye. What do you guys think?
    I really didn't want this to turn in to a full rebuild project, especially now at the end of may. But I guess I shit my own shorts on this one. :cry:
    put a 502/502 on visa :notam:

CrdStang
    Don't feel too bad, at least you made it to the water. I fired my 455 for the first time today, about 10 minutes into the cam break-in, the oil pressore dropped to ~10psi. :frown: I shut it off, hopefully before anything got screwed up.
    I figure either something went horribly wrong or it did the patented Oldsmobile pump-all-the-oil-into-the-valve-covers trick. I'll fire it up again in the morning and see if the oil pressure comes back...

v-drive
    I think I would bite the bullet and do the rebuild. If you don't and something goes wrong you will be really upset,I know that I would
    :coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive

FHI-prez
    Don't feel too bad, at least you made it to the water. I fired my 455 for the first time today, about 10 minutes into the cam break-in, the oil pressore dropped to ~10psi. :frown: I shut it off, hopefully before anything got screwed up.
    I figure either something went horribly wrong or it did the patented Oldsmobile pump-all-the-oil-into-the-valve-covers trick. I'll fire it up again in the morning and see if the oil pressure comes back...
    Not to hijack the thread, but the oil being held in the heads on an olds shouldn't and probably wouldn't happen upon break in. It's holding the big olds at high RPM that does the trick. The oil can't flow back to the pan as fast as it's pumped to the top. I hope I'm wrong, but sounds to me like a cam lobe went south. If your breaking it in with double valve springs, that would be the first thing I'd look for. For break in, it's always a good idea to run just the outer spring and leave the inner spring out. Once the cam is broken in, pull the spring and put them both in. I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but I've seen it many times before.
    Now I know there will be someone that says they've always broken in cams with both valve springs with no problems, I have too (before I knew better) it's just a measure of safety, that's all.
    Good luck olds guys,
    Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12