Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley 12JB-A with a leak...first boat...please help!

dhall50
    Well i recently inherited my first boat..i took it out on the lake last week with no problems. Took it out today and after the first spin around the lake i checked under the shell to find a good amount of water. At idle water was spraying(not gushing but spraying fairly good) enough to turn on my overflow bilge pump. It was spraying from the spot marked in these two pics. What would be the easiest way to fix this and the best way? Please go into detail...i am 19 and familiar with mustangs not boats. Thanks for any help you may have to offer.
    http://www.geocities.com/d_j_h_on23/jet006.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/d_j_h_on23/jet005.jpg

MudPumper
    It's probably coming from the bolt hole. Sometimes they thread right into a vane in the bowl. Pull the bolt out, let it dry out really good, blow it out with an aircompressor too. Squeeze a bunch of silicone into the hole and put the bolt back it. Should fix your problem. Good luck. I had a similar problem and this took care of it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It appears that your bowl is leaking. Take a socket and tighten up all those bolts. Also, it could be your transom adapter leaking. Go around to the back of the boat and run a fresh bead of silicone around the bowl where it meets the transom adapter. Try that first. Those are the easiest to fix.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It's probably coming from the bolt hole. Sometimes they thread right into a vane in the bowl. Pull the bolt out, let it dry out really good, blow it out with an aircompressor too. Squeeze a bunch of silicone into the hole and put the bolt back it. Should fix your problem. Good luck. I had a similar problem and this took care of it.
    Very true. I forgot about that.

Bowl-to-transom adapter O-ring is what he is pointing to.
    You could change it-----OR-----run a bead of silicone between the bowl and the adapter. You do this on the outside of the boat. I use Permatex clear.

Red Horse
    Take all the old stuff out with a razor blade first, then put the new stuff in.

Take all the old stuff out with a razor blade first, then put the new stuff in.
    Quite true if there is any.

dhall50
    Bowl-to-transom adapter O-ring is what he is pointing to.
    You could change it-----OR-----run a bead of silicone between the bowl and the adapter. You do this on the outside of the boat. I use Permatex clear.
    Yes that what i am pointing to. So to do the silicone, do i have to remove the square shell on the back of the boat and then unbolt the 8 bolts and run silicone in place of the O ring? Or are you saying to just run silicone without removing anything?
    Sorry for my ignorance. Is there a picture that would show me a jet with the terms pointer out such as bowl and transom adapter?
    ps. i forgot to mention it seems to stop once the engine is shut down.
    Thanks for the quick reply's guys!

You can take the "square shell", aka Transom adapter, off and replace the o-ring. Far simpler is to just run that bead of silicone between the two. NO disassembly required. The "bowl" is the large round bowl-shaped(hence the name) piece protruding through it.

Red Horse
    Stops when the engine off?? Must be on the pressure side of the bowl. I would try the bolt idea first.
    Looking at the back of the boat, right up the nozzle. That big round part is the bowl, the square thing that goes over it is the transom adapter. There is a grove in the bowl that holds an O ring. I run a bead of silicon around it. I also leave the old O ring in. Just to slow down on the water coming in incase the silicon fails.
    GE makes a badass new silicon that is clear and seems to like jet boats :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast