Thread: Amsoil or Mobil 1?

Rivernut
    Lots of websites recommend using synthetic, Amsoil claims to be better than Mobil 1. What do you think?

rivercrazy
    Mobil 1 is just as good and cheaper to boot (and easier to obtain). The differences between them are like splitin hairs.

TE081
    I know someone who works in a lb who tests oils...Mobil one is better than amsoil
    Originally posted by Rivernut:
    Lots of websites recommend using synthetic, Amsoil claims to be better than Mobil 1. What do you think?

oneultrarat
    Just watched Hot Rod on Speed Channel this morning did a piece about this. They dynoed a car with regular oil then chaneged everything to Royal Purple. Crankcase, trans, and rear end and picked up 10 hp.

wrightnow
    I was always told not to use synthetic oil in a boat motor, there is nothing it it to prevent rust.

best1syn2oil
    Originally posted by wrightnow:
    I was always told not to use synthetic oil in a boat motor, there is nothing it it to prevent rust.
    Perhaps you could explain to us why lubricant manufacturers would not put anti- corrosive components in their additive packages in their premium synthetic products when they do in their petroleum oils. The additive package is the most important part of the oil, and anti-corrosive properties are most certainly figured into the package...especially for marine applications.

TaylorLP20
    The reason I heard is that synthetics do not cling to the parts and drain off of the internal parts during LONG PERIODS of storage. Not anything to do with the additive package. Have heard this from a number of sources and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Still I run Mobil 1 anyway and have had no problems.

LakesOnly
    BOTH of those synthetic lubricant brands are at the high end of the spectrum and are superior SYNTHETIC BASE STOCK lubricants (unlike some petroleum based lubricants touting themselves as synthetics--it's a long story).
    While I remain partial towards Amsoil, I applaud anyone running it or Mobil One.
    I have studied both petroleum-based and synthetic lubricants. I have personally built multiple engines that were broken in on petroleum-based oils and then switched over to a synthetic (in my cases, Amsoil). The engines were run for tens of thousands of miles. One disassembly at 88,000 miles (with oil/filter changes at 15,000 mile intervals) looked/measured brand new inside; the other is still running strong and I've NEVER changed the oil. EVER.
    If your not too finicky, pick between the two based on what is most feasible or affordable for you.
    LO

Essex502
    Just to put my two cents in....
    I did some tests some time back using an environmental chamber (extreme heat and extreme cold) using both Amsoil and Mobil 1. "At that time" (heavy qualification) Amsoil poured down to 60 below zero and Mobil 1 poured down to about 40 below. Mobil 1 also "seemed" to burn off and discolor at a lower temperature that Amsoil. It convinced me to try Amsoil. Also, back when I used to drag race, we used Amsoil exclusively and it was the only type of oil to allow our motors to live without any oil in the oil pan (restricted flow back to the pan) while going thru the lights. Picked up 0.15 seconds which was huge when the oil pump was "starved" at the top end. Used a Moroso oil accumulator to send oil to the bearings when the pressure dropped. Worked well until they outlawed it in Stock class!
    I believe in Amsoil though I don't run it in the boat. Moisture can still accumulate in the motor due to condensation and I just prefer changing oil every season to rid the condensation.