Thread: new paaaats for my boat

keithmenard
    any east coasters know what that means
    It has been a while since I have looked at putting my boat back together after a terrible moving experience from AZ back to MA. Well, the time has come and I have some questions...
    my engine: 468 with (I believe 10-1 compression pistons, I could get the number off the botton of the piston if that helps)
    The turbos: an old banks twin turbo setup with built in holes limiting the boost to about 6lbs..would like to make the hole a bit smaller to increase this a couple pounds (if deemed safe)
    The carb: a slightly worked (milled the horns) and boost referenced holley 850
    the intake: looking for suggestions!!!
    the heads: Aluminum GM Bowtie rectangular port heads # 14044861. These heads have 380 CC runners. They are 106 CC open chambers. They have been angle milled .125. The valve sizes are 2.25 / 1.88
    the head gasket: looking for suggestions!!!!
    the intercooler: older PFM dual core
    the cam shaft: dual pattern hydraulic cam (can't find the number anywhere )
    the bottom end: pretty stock 4 bolt main
    Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    oh its a jet.

cdnguitarsnboats
    Don't worry about the jet part, we can all get along, can't we?
    What part of MA are you in? I moved from CA to MA a few years ago, and I'm in Groton now. That's about 15 miles from Nashua, NH if you're not familiar with the area.
    Jim

keithmenard
    I am in a small town called Douglas (in the blackstone valley)...looking forward to going and tearing up winnepesaukee a bit

keithmenard
    bump.

InKahntrol
    any east coasters know what that means
    It has been a while since I have looked at putting my boat back together after a terrible moving experience from AZ back to MA. Well, the time has come and I have some questions...
    my engine: 468 with (I believe 10-1 compression pistons, I could get the number off the botton of the piston if that helps)
    The turbos: an old banks twin turbo setup with built in holes limiting the boost to about 6lbs..would like to make the hole a bit smaller to increase this a couple pounds (if deemed safe)
    The carb: a slightly worked (milled the horns) and boost referenced holley 850
    the intake: looking for suggestions!!!
    the heads: Aluminum GM Bowtie rectangular port heads # 14044861. These heads have 380 CC runners. They are 106 CC open chambers. They have been angle milled .125. The valve sizes are 2.25 / 1.88
    the head gasket: looking for suggestions!!!!
    the intercooler: older PFM dual core
    the cam shaft: dual pattern hydraulic cam (can't find the number anywhere )
    the bottom end: pretty stock 4 bolt main
    Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    oh its a jet.
    To start things off, I'd find a reputable machine shop in your area and have them go through everything for you, mag the block, crank, etc. 10:1 is way to much compression, especially if you want to run pump gas. Dial it back to 8.5:1 or maybe 9 if you want to get risky and won't ever run more than 6 lbs. I'd also probably send the turbo setup out to a reputable turbo shop, have the turbos inspected and checked on a bench, and maybe if you feel like spending the money have them eliminate the holes and install a proper wastegate setup. Its a much better way to go and all you have to do is change springs to alter boost. For your bottom end the LEAST I'd do is is stud the block and heads, and have the rods polished, shotpeened and fitted with good ARP bolts. However, you can get pretty good deals on H-beams these days, so I'd investigate that as well. As for head gaskets, there is debate as to which is better, copper or Cometic steel, but I just used a pair of cometics on my turbo motor and so far they've been great. They're pricey, but you don't have to o-ring the block and they can take a lot of boost. Finally, as far as cams go you definately want to run a specific turbo cam or your setup won't make any boost at all. I'm running an Engle TCS-7 hydraulic flat tappet, which is pretty mild but a good turbo cam from what I'm told. They also have more radical grinds (TCS-9; and BigKatBoat on here has a custom grind over at Engle that looks good too) if you want to go that way. Make sure you get good springs that match the cam. Good luck!

keithmenard
    you don't think those heads will lower the compression a bunch?
    the turbos have already been gone through, and the motor has much less than 100 hours on it since I went to the turbo system from nitrous.
    I def. want to do studs, very curious about the head gasket and thickness I should go for, as well as a suitable intake manifold.

keithmenard
    hey guys...still looking for some suggestions on the intake manifold and head gaskets...thanks!