Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punctured Boat Hull

UltraStealth
    I would recommend talking with your boat builder or others to see if they have any recommendations. I San Fernando Valley there is also Abstract Fiberglass.

InKahntrol
    In LHC I would use Fiberglass Reformations, over behind Campbell boats on Port St. Talk to Steve or Jill. They're both good people and they do amazing work, even with modern fades and pearls, and they do structural stuff.
    Dan

bigkatboat
    Yeh! He's right, Scott (Ducky) worked there, and now he has Fast Fiberglass in LHC. He does glass and mechanical work. For the trailer, try Gary at Enduro Trailers. Fast, 928 854glas (4527) Enduro,928 8557888.

Squirtin Thunder
    Toddnjuzz here on the boards makes house calls !!!
    Send him a PM !!!
    Jim

Problems
    Thank you for everybodys help with this mishap. I have contacted every company referred.
    By the way, if anybody came across a black and red Nationwide Home Loans bag around the cleanup lane of Windsor's south launch, please let me know. I left the clean up about 5:00 on Friday. When I came back looking for it about a half hour later, it was gone.

Holland
    Sorry about what happened. My burning question is: Since its your third post on here, Why bring it up? Supposed to keep stuff like that on the low down. You might end up like frenchie....
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ie_hotpass.jpg
    That pic is f^*#ing Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChumpChange
    This is a cut and paste from Havasu Secret cutting and pasting from Havasu Barney from a thread that has long been deleted. Some of the referrals above are mentioned. Good luck and let us know how it ends up.
    This is a cut and paste from Havasu Barney. He is the best when it comes to gel & fiberglass work... but he is on "VACATION" till January 2005. He does have some great advice on the local fiberglass shops in Havasu.
    I hope this helps.
    Here is the Cut and past post from Barney himself:
    As many of you are aware of and for those of you that are not, Havasu Barney will be closing our doors this month. It seems that the Federal Government has requested my presence for the next year or so and they have made a reservation for me starting March 1st, 2004.
    I have made many friends through this board as well as through my business, I wanted to make sure you guys had a heads up for all of your boat repair needs. If you need to get your gel repaired, here's the real scoop on the Lake Havasu shops. There will be some information in here that I have wanted to share for some time, I just did not think it appropriate to talk negatively about a business when I stood to profit from it.
    In this thread, I simply want to address my concerns and knowledge of a few shops, offer a few tips that will help you get your repairs done without undue delay and costs. I have no personal or financial interest in any business referred from this thread.
    Dave's Fiberglass
    1740 S. McCulloch Blvd.
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    928-855-2215
    928-706-0084 cell
    I've known Dave for several years. He has been in the business for about 10 years, working for Fiberglass Reformation under Pat and for a period of time after it sold to Steve. Dave is without question the most knowledgeable and best fiberglass and gel guy I have ever known. This guy has seen it all and done it all, there is simply no repair out of his reach.
    He is a master of color matching, blends and repairs.
    If I were to get my personal boat fixed, I would seek Dave out. He is simply the best out there.
    Dave is not without shortcomings though. He does tend to over-book himself. He also will tend to take some discounted jobs and not give his best work on those.
    My advice when dealing with Dave,
    1. Give him a date when you want to pick the boat up, not just when you want it ready.
    2. Pay full price. This guy is a master and will do masterful work when paid to do so.
    3. If you must get bids, get the other guys first. Then just show the bids to Dave and have him complete the work, he is the best.
    4. Tell him your read this on Hot Boat and he'll know you are part of this internet community and will report his work to others.
    5. You could always tell him Havasu Barney sent you.
    TRG Custom Fiberglass
    Rowland Heights, CA
    626-991-9031
    I'm including Todd in my Havasu repair because I think he's a great guy and does excellent work. I have not seen a lot of his repair work but I have had the chance to closely inspect several of the boats he has done. I see a real need for his services out there.
    I have also talked extensively with Todd on the phone. It is abundantly clear to me that he KNOWS every aspect of this trade. From seeing his work I know he also knows how to apply that knowledge.
    I don't know if Todd does much consultation, I think he should.
    I know there's a bunch of you guys that insist on doing your own work. I know some of our projects are labors of love. If I had a project going in Southern CA, I would see if Todd could come spend an afternoon with me and coach me through the tough spots. He would be a great value and source of knowledge for $50 per hour.
    Todd also has at least 1 shortcoming I'm aware of, he under values his own work.
    I would also be proud to have Todd work on my boat, just don't **** with the lawn equipment.
    My advice when dealing with Todd,
    1. Give him creative freedom and input on your work, he is an artist.
    2. If you must get bids, get the other bids first so you'll know it's an apples to apples comparison.
    3. Give him the time to get it done and it will be done right.
    4. Don't let him discount the work, you'll get his best work no matter what you pay but you'll be happier paying more.
    Boat Body Repair
    1991 Industrial Blvd.
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    928-855-5522
    I guess it's a compliment that I do not see much of Rod's work. People that see him usually go back to him. He is very capable of doing great work.
    His work has a tendency to be on the expensive side but he also has a wealth of experience to draw from.
    My only comments about the boats we both have worked on, sometimes he will take shortcuts and not let the customer be aware of it.
    I have seen a few of his boats where the customer thought they were getting gel work and it was done in paint.
    Rod does do excellent paint work though.
    I am very neutral about Boat Body Repair. Most people that have work done there are very happy.
    My advice when dealing with Rod,
    1. Make sure you get gel work when you pay for gel work.
    2. He is the best choice for having paint work done here in Havasu.
    3. You will not need bids, his work will be the highest but his work is as good as you can get.
    Fiberglass Reformations
    905 Port Dr.
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    928-855-0877
    Fiberglass Reformations used to be the best choice for work in Havasu, those days are long gone. Over the last few years, they have had some good work come out of there but that's only when they have had some good employees. The trouble is Steve has trouble keeping good employees.
    I have seen a great deal of completely shitty work come from this place. Every week people come through asking to have work re-done that they had done with FR.
    In my opinion, they also engage in bad business practices. They will undercut jobs while paying cash referrals under the table to anyone who will send them work.
    Then they take every possible shortcut on the work to make ends meet.
    Very often customers will come for gel work and get paint and are never told, meanwhile the crew will yuck it up around town about how they cheated customers.
    In my opinion, their work is second rate at best.
    Be careful if you are having service work in town and they are also taking care of gel work. No question there is some cash being exchanged under the table and you are getting second rate work if it comes from FR. Make sure your service people use someone else.
    Do yourself a favor and avoid any business with these guys.
    My advice for dealing with Fiberglass Reformations,
    1. DON'T
    Havasu Barney
    End of cut and paste of cut and paste.
    Chump

RiverDave
    In Lake Havasu, Dave's fiberglass,south end of town, 928-706-0084
    That's probably where I'd start my adventure if this happened to me.
    RD

Phat Matt
    In LHC I would use Fiberglass Reformations, over behind Campbell boats on Port St. Talk to Steve or Jill. They're both good people and they do amazing work, even with modern fades and pearls, and they do structural stuff.
    Dan
    I would second this recomendation.

Problems
    I would second this recomendation.
    Have you seen their work? From the post above, they do not sound so good anymore. I can see from previous posts as well that the guy from FastGlass used to work there and left. Maybe he was one of their good employees and quality went down when he left?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast