Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do jet guys give RPM instead of MPH??

CrazyHippy
    Is it some kind of secret code?
    Guys talk about being able to turn an A cut to 6000 rpm. If the pump is set up really tight that is impressive (and fast), but if the pump is looser than a $2.00 hooker???
    Are they afraid of the MPH?
    Not have a speedo (as inaccurate as they may be)?
    WHY?????
    BJH

canuck1
    Cause with a jet your tach is the most important gage you have. If you turn 5500 and next week out you turn a differnt rpm you know to have a look and see whats up, whether its motor or pump

Dans66Stevens
    Well with the Jet guys they can't post M.P.H. or the V-Drive guys will laugh them off the Forums!!!!!! http://www.plauder-smilies.com/jump.gif

HammerDown
    Most of the pump manufactures offer a Impeller selection chart. Ex. Berkeley states that it will take some 550 hp. to spin there A Impeller at 5,550 rpm's... Dominator states that it will take some 550 hp. to spin there a Impeller at 5,300 rpm's.
    Its like a dyno chart...its best to know how much hp your motor is makeing and pick the correct Imp. so that motor will rev. to its peek HP and Torque. Or if you guess in the ball park, pick a slightly larger Imp. and if the motor's not reving hi enough it could always be trimed down.

HammerDown
    Originally posted by Dans66Stevens:
    Well with the Jet guys they can't post M.P.H. or the V-Drive guys will laugh them off the Forums!!!!!! http://www.plauder-smilies.com/jump.gif
    Is that why I had to keep slowing down for you in your V-Drive?

Sangster 79
    Originally posted by Dans66Stevens:
    Right on DAN ........

CrazyHippy
    Originally posted by canuck1:
    Cause with a jet your tach is the most important gage you have. If you turn 5500 and next week out you turn a differnt rpm you know to have a look and see whats up, whether its motor or pump
    I agree whole-heartedly that you should know, but why use it as a baseline? How can you tell if your pump work is helping or hurting?
    Same w/ motor work, teh timing change could have given you those 2-300 rpm, or it could have been the sand you sucked up putting the boat on the trailer last time out....
    BJH

canuck1
    My motors don't get touched after being put into the boat, they get set-up on the dino and left alone after that. The pump was built properly and the set up was done years ago so I have the specs to reset everthing to if i have to touch it.so if the rpm changes on the motor I have to start checking to see why

Whats a dino?

canuck1
    Big purple thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast