Thread: Mufflers and other ?? on ski boat BBC

MilJack
    Hi guys,
    just found this forum, and I know I'll find some other gear heads here that can answer some hi-po questions on the BBC that lives in our ski boat.
    Our engine is a PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine) version of the 502 fuel injected BBC. The fuel injection system looks like the standard GM (multi-port not Tbi) issue intake and fuel injectors. It has a distributor driven off the cam. It is an inboard and has the water cooled manifolds because the boat has a fully insulated and upholstered "doghouse" cover.
    My questions are as follows:
    1. What kind of mufflers can I use for this type of setup w/o a loss of performance? The exhaust lives under the floor of the interior.
    2. What would be a good ignition upgrade for the engine?
    3. I've seen some aftermarket exhaust risers, any suggestions here?
    4. What size exhaust would be the best suited for this boat/engine combo?
    5. Any other areas to pay attention on the BBC as relating to marine usage?
    thanks,
    Jack

SmokinLowriderSS
    Personally, unless you are looking at racing, there is not a much better substitute for the (I'm daring an aSSumption here) marine version HEI I'm figuring you have. There is a high-RPM few-degree retard I have heard about with the system but does that bother your aplication? I THINK the retard starts to happen above 4k. I'm still running single points over 70mph, near 5500RPM.
    I've been running a 454 jet drive boat for 27 years now (actually owned dad's boat now 2 years) and have had ZERO maintenance/performance issues to warn you about. Gear your performance mods to your needs, mostly torque at moderate RPM to have good acceleration. My exhaust outlets are 3.5", likely to become 4" with next winter's upgrade to Through-transom headers (Lightning) 3.5 to 4" is good for you.

MilJack
    I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I would like to quiet the boat down, as our combo came without muffs, and I would like to find something;
    1. easy to install
    2. won't kill performance
    3. will still sound good (not sure how to quantify this one, as I don't have any idea how loud our current setup is)
    4. While I was at it, wanted to determine if aftermarket risers and manifolds are worth considering as the stock PCM units look ok, but appear as though no thought had been given to length of the primaries, nor the riser "flow."
    5. Ignition-just wanted to optimize, determine if the stocker is junk, apparently not...
    6. Programming on fuel injection controller(I notice the engine at idle is rich).
    thanks,
    Jack

Mohavekid
    Sounds like this may be a direct drive tournament ski boat?
    If so, checke here. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...der/items2.cgi
    I have a set like this on my Ski Sanger and they do a nice job of quieting the exhaust down to a mellow rumble without too much loss of performance.