Thread: Intake grate screws...

Old Charger
    I think we may have covered this before, but I can't find the thread.
    Got a new loader grater for my Jacuzzi YJ. Went to go put it in, but I cant get the old ones out! Broke 2 screw drivers trying! Any ideas?

riodog
    Drill-um, tap-um and go to the next larger sizebolt. If you have room, drill all the way through and tap, and also use silicone and a washer and lock nut.

Old Charger
    Any suggestions on a type of drill bit? The screws are hardend stainless.

77Spectra
    You need to get an impact screw driver. They are cheap. You hit it lightly on the bottom with a hammer as you apply a little twist. It is the only way and is quite easy.

RH
    Cobalt bits work well drilling stainless , what are they tapped into ? if alum. slather them with an antiseize compound . RH
    [This message has been edited by RH (edited September 20, 2001).]

1000mhz
    Had same problem when installing my loader grate. I used an impact screwdriver (HUSKY), it worked grate!
    "ADM sucks"

bajaruner
    Use a impact screwdriver and a good penetrating lubricant like liquid wrench, if your still fighting it you may have to use a little heat from a propane torch (carefully) around the bolt hole to expand the surounding area, this will be far less damaging and easier than trying to drill them out. If you still find you need to drill them out use a cobalt drill bit and a good center punch, if you can find a left handed drill bit these work great as they will grab the bolt and back it out for you. Use heli-coil inserts to repair any damaged threads, and use plenty of anti-sieze lubricant when you install your new bolts.
    HOPE THIS HELPS

LVjetboy
    Hi Old Charger,
    Another thought. Once you do get the old stainless out, might want to consider black steel. Turns out these screws are stronger than most stainless. I had two loader SS screws break heads on me. Also heard others say the same. As long as you don't boat salt or leave you boat in the water for extended time, black steel's an option.
    jer