Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help... blower surge

ROBINHOOD
    I need some help. I have a Fountain with twin 502's. These engines have fuel injected B&M 250 Blowers. The starboard engine runs great very little blower surge and idles around 7-800....I can live with that, the port engine can only idle at 1200-1300 and has alot of blower surge anything under that. Under load they they both idle great. One other thing both engines seem to run a little fat which I don't understand because the fuel injection should compensate for altitude,air density, and temperature should it not???
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated????

Blown 472
    I need some help. I have a Fountain with twin 502's. These engines are reworked with fuel injected B&M 250 Blowers. The starboard engine runs great very little blower surge and idles around 7-800....I can live with that, the port engine idles at 1200-1300 and has alot of blower surge anything under that. Any ideas????
    sounds lean like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

ROBINHOOD
    sounds lean like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
    mmm....vacuum, thats going to be tough to find. Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    My blower motors surge when they get too rich. When I lean them out, the idle comes up, and the motor starts surging, when I try to bring the idle down with the set screw.
    I'd say one motor is leaner than the other (could be a vacuum line).

ROBINHOOD
    My blower motors surge when they get too rich. When I lean them out, the idle comes up, and the motor starts surging, when I try to bring the idle down with the set screw.
    I'd say one motor is leaner than the other (could be a vacuum line).
    Both motors run rich as the back of the boat is all black. But these are fuel injected which brings on the dilemmas. I always thought fuel injection will adjust the air/fuel mix as well as alt and temp.
    I'll redo the vacuum line to the gauge and see if that helps. Thats the only one I can find attached to the manifold. I sprayed carb clean around the manifold and I didn't notice a difference in the way it ran.
    Thanks for the advise.
    Jason

Speedin' Ian
    Do you have fuel presure guages on the motor? I'm not sure what type of injection you are running but not all injection adjust for temp and altitude. The fuel pressure regulators may be adjusted differently causing the difference in idle.

ROBINHOOD
    Do you have fuel presure guages on the motor? I'm not sure what type of injection you are running but not all injection adjust for temp and altitude. The fuel pressure regulators may be adjusted differently causing the difference in idle.
    I'd like to think I can fix anything but I think I'm over my head.
    The B&M system uses the port injection from the 502 MPI. It has a B&M adjustable fuel regulator mounted in the manifold under the blower and purple B&M something or other that plugs into the wiring harness or maybe thats the ECU. It uses the stock fuel system.... Total timing is 30.
    As this is my first fuel injected anything my knowledge would fit in a thimble but shouldn't the ECU adjust itself. For like temp, alt, air/fuel mix.... stuff like that.
    I have no fuel pressure gauge although there is a fuel pressure sending unit attached to the second part of the fuel system and wired the the ECU I think.
    I have a picture but I can't load it.
    Any help/advise would e greatly appreciated.
    Jason

Unchained
    Both motors run rich as the back of the boat is all black. But these are fuel injected which brings on the dilemmas. I always thought fuel injection will adjust the air/fuel mix as well as alt and temp.
    Jason
    The EFI system is only going to adjust the fuel mixture if it's running closed loop like a car runs, and that needs an O2 sensor mounted in the exhaust pipe.
    Even if you don't run closed loop an O2 sensor will let you connect an air/fuel gauge to it to know where to adjust the fuel maps with a laptop computer.
    www.tuneyourengine.com

cdog
    The EFI system is only going to adjust the fuel mixture if it's running closed loop like a car runs, and that needs an O2 sensor mounted in the exhaust pipe.
    Even if you don't run closed loop an O2 sensor will let you connect an air/fuel gauge to it to know where to adjust the fuel maps with a laptop computer.
    www.tuneyourengine.com
    If you need a wide band tuner I have one for sale. It's the innovate unit kit. with everything you need to know your air fuel ratio's. If intrested PM me. The kit is new. Used once.

Unchained
    The Innovate Motorsports LM-1 is the unit I have.
    It works great.
    Kenny Duttweiler endorsed it in this months "Turbo & Hi-Tech performace" mag.
    There's also a real good article on Duttweiler and his many turbo EFi engine building projects through the years.
    He made some interesting statements that I never considered before.
    Like, "It takes 2.5 times as much alcohol to equal the performance of gasoline"
    Some boat engines are going to have a problem running an O2 sensor because it has to be a dry exhaust where the sensor mounts in or it would have to be installed way before the water is injected in the pipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast