Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The webster "Bench Racer"

HOSS
    In laymans terms: One who knows how to do everything/can tell others "how to" but put a wrench in their hands and DON`T know jack nor do jack either.
    Of course I started out as a bench racer. I personally feel that it is a great starting point in any craft.
    The problem (if any) is when someone whom pays to have their stuff done yet tells others how easy it is to fix it themselves and gives a step by step accounting of the how it works method.
    The racer part has nothing to do with actual racing per say. Its just a name or cliche`.
    Again there is nothing wrong with the act of bench racing, just the ones who don`t get past it yet BLAB that they are pro`s.
    In other words, you know the fella that hangs out at the speed shop, doesn`t work on shit, you haven`t seen a tool in his hand, yet can tell you how it works, why it broke, and what its gonna take to fix it. Ever notice how he`s there when its done and firing up. Next he`s tellin` everyone how WE fixed it? That is a bench racer(full blown). I believe you get my point and the full understanding of the definition. As being one of the "founding fathers" as you say (thanks) I should have the right to state the definition.
    Now, let the flaming begin!
    Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!
    [ December 16, 2002, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Jungle Boy
    I guess that even a guy that races ends up bench racing every now and then!! I guess everyone at some time or another will poke their nose in a opinion, be it right or way off base. Keep on bench racing gents.

HOSS
    Exactly!
    Just don`t come to my garage without having ANY expeirience, drink all my beer, then tell me how easy it is and this is all you have to do to fix it then leave with your totally clean self. That my friend is a good GOD damn way of getting your ass kicked.

smalls
    Good Mornin Bench Racers,,,,,, If your here your one, Maybe in denile???
    Where is my JD
    [ December 16, 2002, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: smalls ]

Monkey Bung
    Afraid its gone!!! yuk

smalls
    Monkey Bung:
    Afraid its gone!!! yuk I guess i was tooooooooo?????? Naaaaa Just havin fun on the mountain. I had a bad case of Cabin fever.

Her454
    smalls:
    I guess i was tooooooooo?????? Naaaaa Just havin fun on the mountain. I had a bad case of Cabin fever.you guys need to get out more..... eek!

smalls
    Her454:
    smalls:
    I guess i was tooooooooo?????? Naaaaa Just havin fun on the mountain. I had a bad case of Cabin fever.you guys need to get out more..... eek! NYD may be a repeat, I hope.

smalls
    Her454:
    smalls:
    I guess i was tooooooooo?????? Naaaaa Just havin fun on the mountain. I had a bad case of Cabin fever.you guys need to get out more..... eek! NYD may be a repeat, I hope.

Lightning
    The proper definition or should I say common aspect of a bench racer is;
    "..an attempt by drivers of very different vehicles/boats to compare times and determine relative performances. (IE; tell lies about how badly you could have beaten the other guy if only you were driving equal cars/boats)" - as noted by Carl Scragg.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast