Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Alternator 911*

Hallett19
    I have a 3 wire alternator that went south on me and I have a 1 wire in my garage from my old Taurus SHO. After getting the SHO one inspected, it works fine. My question is, how do I go about making this alternator work with my boat ?? I know the one wire will go to my battery switch, but there is a 2 prong plug on the side of the alternator that looks like it needs to be used to make it work. What do I connect these to and what do I do with the extra wires of my old externaly regulated alternator.
    I need to get the boat ready for this weekend, so I am in kind of a rush, thanks for any help.
    My search of the site came up with a very vauge description on how to do this swap

J540
    I have a 3 wire alternator that went south on me and I have a 1 wire in my garage from my old Taurus SHO. After getting the SHO one inspected, it works fine. My question is, how do I go about making this alternator work with my boat ?? I know the one wire will go to my battery switch, but there is a 2 prong plug on the side of the alternator that looks like it needs to be used to make it work. What do I connect these to and what do I do with the extra wires of my old externaly regulated alternator.
    I need to get the boat ready for this weekend, so I am in kind of a rush, thanks for any help.
    My search of the site came up with a very vauge description on how to do this swap
    The single wire go's to the main post on the starter (the Battery cable post) here call Valley Alternator in cpk, #818 882 7511 ask for mark tell him John w/the cole etc. said to talk to him. I already told him you will call.

Boatcop
    As was said. Use only marine style alternators. They are shielded so that any spark doesn't ignite gas vapors that may be in the engine compartment.
    Using an automotive alternator, starter, fuel pump or distributor may cause your boat to explode and catch fire. Investigation into any fire or explosion will reveal the improper parts and any insurance will be void.
    There would also be claims of negligence, making you personally liable for any injuries from said explosion or fire.
    Do it right the first time.

J540
    only use marine alt/starters,thats what i was told
    Yes and pay 2X more. the starters are know different. Alt, have a spark arrestor screen on them. Stock Chevy gear reduction starters work the best, I had a 13.1 motor and it spun the shit out of it not 1 prob, in 3yr. I have the same starter on my 572 14-71 blower motor for the last 4yr's, no problems. OH and alt,

mirvin
    There's a place in Gardena called Rotex that will rebuild your marine alternator for under $200.
    mirvin

Dr. Eagle
    There's a place in Gardena called Rotex that will rebuild your marine alternator for under $200.
    mirvin
    Otherwise you're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

J540
    mirvin
    Do they give you a KISS after. Cuz that is a big F,n. you can damm near get a new"marine" Alt for that. you can buy USCG. approved screen for your old one for $50.00.

mirvin
    Otherwise you're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!
    You don't want to be doomed....
    I just found my reciept. $92.01 for R&R of a marine alternator. Mines for a small block and I'm not running any big electronics so your's might cost more depending on amperage.....I think
    ROTEX - 310-323-5710

mirvin
    Do they give you a KISS after. Cuz that is a big F,n. you can damm near get a new"marine" Alt for that. you can buy USCG. approved screen for your old one for $50.00.
    You're right. I didn't want to low ball him though :220v:
    Also I notice you don't have an engine cover. Aren't most of the "marine" specifications meant to deal with vapor build up under the hatch?? Which may explain why you have had great results from the non marine stuff.
    mirvin

HM
    only use marine alt/starters,thats what i was told
    This is the old marine vs. auto parts argument. The guys that are pro auto parts are guys that have used them for years and never had a problem and therefore can't justify the price (http://www.bushwood.net/gilmore/happy06.wav) .
    Like boatcop said, if you do have a problem, you are focked because not only will your insurance claim be denied and insurance cancelled, but you will be held liable for any injuries. Even if you have a PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy)...more than likely that will be denied as well.
    Bottom line is that it is not all that much money to put the legal parts on compared to the cost of losing your ass. :idea:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast