Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Alternator 911*

Hallett19
    Come on Wes, we all know I could never follow a stupid rule like "use marine equipment on a boat"... geezzz
    I put the pulley on a vise and turned the nut with a socket, but it turns the whole shaft, it needs to be held with an allen and then turned with a socket, but that is impossible, I am really dying over here !! :frown:
    The bottom line is, the nuts and shaft are firmly attatched and dont seem to want to be seperated.... :rollside:

HP350SC
    If you don't have an impact gun, most any shop will buzz it off for you for $5.
    What is wrong with your marine alternator? It is very easy to swap out the regulator and brush holder, that's usually what's wrong.
    As mentioned, DON'T USE THAT CAR ALTERNATOR! :boxed:

BoatPI
    Install that SHO one and one day you will be blown into the river. Same for starters, distributors, etc.

Hallett19
    I'll run this car one for a few trips, looks like I'll have to get this thing taken off by a mechanic, just wondering if anyone had any tricks. Thanks guys !!

Boatcop
    I'll run this car one for a few trips, looks like I'll have to get this thing taken off by a mechanic, just wondering if anyone had any tricks. Thanks guys !!
    I'll beg you one last time to reconsider, and do it right the first time. Listen to Me and Keith (Boat PI).
    Me and my boys will end up having to do the initial investigation on the explosion, and Keith and his boys will end up doing the investigation for the Insurance Company and/or the Plaintiffs' Attorney(s).
    Believe us. We've seen these things, and the aftermath, too many times to take it nonchalantly.

Jordy
    As mentioned, DON'T USE THAT CAR ALTERNATOR! :boxed:
    Install that SHO one and one day you will be blown into the river. Same for starters, distributors, etc.
    I'll beg you one last time to reconsider, and do it right the first time. Listen to Me and Keith (Boat PI).
    Hey, I'm picking up on a theme here. All it takes is one time and you're going to have a whole new definition of a "smokin' jacket." Don't cut corners on this one.

The bottom line is, the nuts and shaft are firmly attatched and dont seem to want to be seperated.... :rollside:
    :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Impact wrench and hang on to the fan (not with your bare hand), buzz it right off.

So lets see, maybe a 1% chance in an open boat something will cause an explosion with an automotive electronic part (yes it happens). First you prolly need a little fuel leak of some kind to get some nice fumes going and calm wind.
    So the way I read some of the above some will just roll the dice they'll fall into the 99% group and remain alive or unburned along with their families and friends. I guess its all on how you view it. I'll just spend the extra hundie and avoid the 1% gamble of killing someone and losing a lifes worth of progress from the resulting litigation.
    (The percentage above is only for illustrative purposes and in no way represents any kind of formal study of likelihood of an explosion, the number could be higher or lower)

Hallett19
    Mike, I was at your store today picking up some exhaust flappers. Why do some last 6 months and other a few years ?
    I will get the marine one after this trip, but I just need to get it on the water for now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast