Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Configuring a New Audio System for Boat

Phat Matt
    We're in the process of spec'ing a new audio system for our boat - head unit, 4 speakers and maybe an amp. Budget is $1,000 and that's firm. We'd like a good, clean sounding system at normal listening levels. We tend not to play the audio all that loud as usually our friends are around playing there stereo systems at an elevated level. There needs to be CD capability in the head unit. Brands are open and if an amp can be included so much the better. A sub isn't necessary either but wouldn't be turned away if the dollars were below the limit. Suitability for a marine application is a must.
    Any suggestions as long as they're under the $1K limit are welcome.
    You can do it for that if you install it yourself.
    Get 2 pair of these. Alpine 69LP (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=360)
    Get this amp. Hifonics ZX8000 (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=hifzx8000)
    Get 2 of these subs. Kicker 05C124 12" (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=369)
    Get this deck. Clarion DXZ745MP (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=317)
    You'll be at $740 plus shipping. There will be no tax. The subs can run free air for an easier install. The amp will run all of your speakers. You should be sounding pretty good.
    Good luck.

OutCole'd
    Matt, what does it mean, "the subs run free air"? Does that mean they don't need to be in a box?

Phat Matt
    Matt, what does it mean, "the subs run free air"? Does that mean they don't need to be in a box?
    Yes in a way. You couldn't set them on your seat and get bass out of them but you could use your hull or seat base as a box. A sealed box would sound better but this is an easier way of doing it and it will sound much better than no subs at all. Not all subs can be used in a "free air" or "infinite baffle" set up.

Essex502
    Sparkomatic and Kraco? Those folks still around? I think Kraco only makes floor mats now.
    Installation is NOT counted in the $1K budget. That is covered separately.
    HH - Thanks for the suggestions. Subs are considered but at the volume levels we usually use I don't know if we'd even "hear" them.
    RC - Loudness isn't a requirement at all. The wife likes the music kept to a level less than I prefer and when beached with friends, usually someone else is more than willing to crank theirs up for everyone's enjoyment.
    Matt - I'll definitely look into these links and consider them carefully.
    ROZ - Come on...this is a serious question. After $45K in the motor and drive (not counting the rest of the boat) there's only so much left for the "other kind of music" - i.e. stereo.

ROZ
    ROZ - Come on...this is a serious question. After $45K in the motor and drive (not counting the rest of the boat) there's only so much left for the "other kind of music" - i.e. stereo.
    How come I always have to be the serious one... Those guys always have all the fun....

HH and RC pretty much covered it in their posts....
    If it's just for inside the boat listening and don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd run a 2 pair of effecient speakers from the headunit and a single 10" sub from a 250watt class D amp...
    If you're looking for a little more volume, do as Matt suggested. Good deck, good 5 or 6 channel amp, 2 pair of effecient speakers, and a good subwoofer(s)...
    I helped one of TremorTherapy's employees with a small Alpine system in his boat a while back, and I heard it sounded great! Think we used an Alpine deck, STm6666 6.5 marine speakers, 10w04, and a 5channel Alpine amp... It was all he needed... I think he spent around 1200.00 or so including all the cables...

Essex502
    How come I always have to be the serious one... Those guys always have all the fun....

HH and RC pretty much covered it in their posts....
    If it's just for inside the boat listening and don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd run a 2 pair of effecient speakers from the headunit and a single 10" sub from a 250watt class D amp...
    If you're looking for a little more volume, do as Matt suggested. Good deck, good 5 or 6 channel amp, 2 pair of effecient speakers, and a good subwoofer(s)...
    I helped one of TremorTherapy's employees with a small Alpine system in his boat a while back, and I heard it sounded great! Think we used an Alpine deck, STm6666 6.5 marine speakers, 10w04, and a 5channel Alpine amp... It was all he needed... I think he spent around 1200.00 or so including all the cables...
    Thanks! Now that's more like a post from the ROZ that knows!

ROZ
    Yes in a way. You couldn't set them on your seat and get bass out of them but you could use your hull or seat base as a box. A sealed box would sound better but this is an easier way of doing it and it will sound much better than no subs at all. Not all subs can be used in a "free air" or "infinite baffle" set up.
    The only way I would do this is if the you have an external, the deck, or the amp have a subsonic filter on it. That way the speaker isn't overdriven trying to reproduce too low frequencies at high volume and blow.... An enclosure behind it will give it much more suspension...

BOBALOO
    This Hifonics, Zeus ZX8000 that Matt recommended has a sub sonic filter. I an convinced that not having a ssf on my other bass amp, a PPI art series 600w from way back, led to many subwoofers demise. Try getting this stuff on EBAY.
    Good luck with your project

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12