Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K&N onto 496 HO...

Beer-30
    anybody notice much? Ordered one for better air quality into the motor, but has anyone seen a noticeable performance increase?

phebus
    I installed one on my 496HO, and saw no improvements to speed at all. It was the same on gps, before and after. I left it on for the improved filtering.

Chromegorilla
    From what I have heard there is zero difference between the KN and stock flame arrestor. I have actually heard from several sources that the stock one actually flows slightly (negligable amount) better. So in fact no noticable difference, only a little more dressed up.

moneypit
    I have one boat w/ the K&N and one without... No difference. use the money for gas.

Beer-30
    Thanks, guys. I have always been one for good filtering, since dirt is not a good thing for pistons and such. Wouldn't think there would be too much increase, was just checking. Looks better too, I agree.
    I was kinda hoping it would lean it out a little, if anything. Lightly sooty transom is usual. Took the risers off the other day to take out the "turbulators" and noticed it was rather black down in there. I am used to seeing the nice brownish color on tailpipes. Doesn't appear to be carbon (oil), which makes since because in 7 hours, it hasn't used a bit.

shadow
    Thanks, guys. I have always been one for good filtering, since dirt is not a good thing for pistons and such. Wouldn't think there would be too much increase, was just checking. Looks better too, I agree.
    I was kinda hoping it would lean it out a little, if anything. Lightly sooty transom is usual. Took the risers off the other day to take out the "turbulators" and noticed it was rather black down in there. I am used to seeing the nice brownish color on tailpipes. Doesn't appear to be carbon (oil), which makes since because in 7 hours, it hasn't used a bit.
    Shouldn't have much dirt to be filtered in a boat,actually the stock flame arrestor will flow better than a k&n,K&n will filter more in dusty applications.
    Merc sets up the 496's to run rich on purpose so they will be bullet proof against high cylinder temp cond of running them lean.496 fuel pressure is adjustable externally.If mine was stock i would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and turn it down 2-3 lbs.Threre is a shrader valve in the fuel rail to hook a pressure gauge to and the regulator is opposite of that under the ecu in the fuel rail.Tamper proof torx bit is all it takes to adjust it.

BowTie Rick
    [QUOTE=shadow]Shouldn't have much dirt to be filtered in a boatQUOTE]
    You would be amazed at the crap that attaches itself to a K&N that would normally go right into the motor. Carpet fibers, hair, bugs, and yes dust/dirt. If you have to wash your boat because it gets dirty, then yes a K&N will help. I know I work there but speaking from first hand experience, my flame arrestor gets dirty and the crap that is on it would be going into the motor with a standard one. Honest, I would never BS a fellow board member. Now the one we've got for the 454/502 Mag makes a marked MPH increase but the stock one on those is an under-sized POS.

shadow
    [QUOTE=shadow]Shouldn't have much dirt to be filtered in a boatQUOTE]
    You would be amazed at the crap that attaches itself to a K&N that would normally go right into the motor. Carpet fibers, hair, bugs, and yes dust/dirt. If you have to wash your boat because it gets dirty, then yes a K&N will help. I know I work there but speaking from first hand experience, my flame arrestor gets dirty and the crap that is on it would be going into the motor with a standard one. Honest, I would never BS a fellow board member. Now the one we've got for the 454/502 Mag makes a marked MPH increase but the stock one on those is an under-sized POS.
    True,I agree with the carpet fuzz,and belt dust etc.Not to bag on K&N just looking at it as if someone was to expect performance improvements from a flame arrestor it aint gonna happen.Certain applications i belive you could gain.

Beer-30
    There again, I was just curious about the gain. Usually noticeable on vehicles (both hers and mine have K&Ns), but noticed the stock one is well-proportioned. However, from past use, nothing beats a K&N-type (there are several oiled filters now) for catching better than stock and flowing better too. $60-70 can add several hours to a stock motor.
    Sure, you mainly boat in calm, dust free conditions. But when the wind picks up and there is dust blowing across the water, guess what; it's going in your "screen" too. It's just the facts.
    Why does the 1050SCI have huge dual K&Ns? Hmmmm.

Beer-30
    Merc sets up the 496's to run rich on purpose so they will be bullet proof against high cylinder temp cond of running them lean.496 fuel pressure is adjustable externally.If mine was stock i would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and turn it down 2-3 lbs.Threre is a shrader valve in the fuel rail to hook a pressure gauge to and the regulator is opposite of that under the ecu in the fuel rail.Tamper proof torx bit is all it takes to adjust it.
    I was looking at the manual, it (of course) doesn't say anything about adjustment. I saw there is a vacuum-reference line, but will get down there and take a peek. I would be willing to try 2lb drop and then 1lb each time from there, if necessary. Doubt it would take much more than that. It's not THAT bad, but it could be improved. I used to dial-in my turbo regal lb by lb.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast