Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How fast with Bimini up

Kilrtoy
    We were only going about 35 when our bimini blew apart - the pole came flying back and hit my 4 year old son right across the forehead!
    That is exactly why we dont use it while driving....

Liberator TJ1984
    Driving with the top up is not an option.....
    not even on plane yet at 70 huh :devil:

Chico&Zeus
    I have a Sunbrella that says 35 max, I run it at about 45...did it at 60 once and vibrated one of the pins out, slammed it into the sundeck HARD!

missboatnam1
    bohica i thought conquest had the super sonic bimini's!

Sixpacked
    That is exactly why we dont use it while driving....
    Neither do we - anymore, it's just not worth the risk.

HM
    Mauricio in Dana Point made us one for the Cig that was rated to 80 mph... and since the Cig only ran in the low 80s the poor little bimini got dragged around that fast. Didn't have any problems at all! Maybe Mauricio could make you some different supports for it? Let me know if you want his number, he did our cockpit cover, full cover, and bimini for the Cig ~ top quality work!!
    Good Luck!
    Jody
    I had one of those Mauricio high speed tops for my Campbell. Was totally bitchen except it blew off the first time I used it at 35 mph. They had forgotten to tighten some set screws. They also forgot to tell me they don't guarantee them at any speed. Filed a claim in small claims and got my money back. :smile:
    The high speed ones are definitely heavier.....they are almost a two man job to hall them around.
    We ran around for years with one on our 23' Sleekcraft...it actually ran faster with the top on (65 ish). If you are going to run at any speed, check the set screws, brackets, and straps & strap anchors - some or all of the attachments to the boat have sheet metal screws. I went through and through bolted them with nylocks.

bohica
    bohica i thought conquest had the super sonic bimini's!
    Rattled the rear top pin out at 70 mph. Ripped that support arch out of the fabric and bent the side pole up pretty good. Smacked my buddy in the head pretty good too.
    If the pin didn't rattle out, it's pretty sturdy at speed.
    Manufacturer has a sticker on it that states do not operate boat with bimini open. :hammer2:
    I had one of thsoe high speed biminis on my Magic. It was a mesh material, but didn't block out the sun too well.

Dr. Eagle
    I wouldn't go over 60 personally. And my boat makes it almost there... not quite to 60. The one I have now is a nice all stainless steel bimini.
    I had one on an older boat that had the nylon fittings and it came undone at about 50 and cracked me in the head...

HM
    I had one on an older boat that had the nylon fittings and it came undone at about 50 and cracked me in the head...
    That explains a lot. (http://www.bushwood.net/gilmore/happy01.wav)

Dr. Eagle
    That explains a lot. (http://www.bushwood.net/gilmore/happy01.wav)
    Funny, I knew that was coming from somewhere...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast