Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air cleaner questions.....

DickDanger
    The air cleaner on my BBC 454 is a backwards facing, kind of rounded triangular cleaner with a mesh screen on it. My questions are: what kind of air cleaners are required for marine use when the motor is exposed? What does putting an automotive (like a round K & N) with a washable element in it do? Are there any advantages to using a venturi (?) bowl without a tunnel ram, but rather just a standard rpm edelbrock manifold? I understand that the cleaner is probably facing backwards because of the potential backfire hazard, and also to keep water out. Any suggestions would help. -DD out
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited April 08, 2002).]

Kwicherbichen
    Dick
    Type "air scoop" in the search feature of this site. There is a healthy amount of stuff that comes up. I remember someone asked a similar question a few months ago.
    Brian

Hallett19
    As far as K&N's go, they are not flame arrestor type air cleaners and don't come with a fuel line from the pump incase of diaphram rupture. And you are right about the facing backwards thing, if you look at the pic of my boat under 'hallett 19's sweet ol girl' I have the carb and cleaner sticking out, and its a gaffrig flame arrestor, it was like 30 bucks, and I got it from rex mar. And the venturi thing, well, I live off the ventura freeway, and that is all I know about that. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...outhpark31.gif
    [This message has been edited by Hallett19 (edited April 08, 2002).]

spectras only
    K & N has a CCA arrestor listed ,but why don't you get the marine barbron type airfilter from Rex or anybody else[polished or unpolished].Those are freeflow,you can test them on or off the engine ,same RPM same speed and legal!

TaylorLP20
    I bought the K&N round that was advertised as an "Approved Marine Flame Arrestor". It has the word "MARINE" stamped in the base, but didn't say USCG Aproved anywhere. Also didn't have the fuel fume tube connection. Had to fab that up myself.
    Needless to say I was pissed after spending about 70 bucks. But it does look good though!
    Last Jegs catalog still had these listed as USCG approved so beware.
    Dick,
    The thing you are describing sounds like an old Wieand Lynx air filter. Does it have a foam element? If so watch out. The foam doesn't burn as such, but a cardb backfire will cause the foam to crumble up and fall into the intake.
    [This message has been edited by TaylorLP20 (edited April 08, 2002).]

DickDanger
    Taylor, it doesnt appear to have any kind of a foam element, but rather just a screen in it to keep everything but the finest particles out. I dont really know what the hell it is, as I am sure that it was OEM stuff back in '77. Here is a pic of the back side of it. http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Read...s/AquaTail.JPG
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited April 08, 2002).]

TaylorLP20
    Not what I was thinking. Never mind!

BowTie Rick
    Alright guys, this is NOT a spam. I happen to work at K&N so here is the poop. We do make USCG approved flame arrestors. They are the same thing as the automotive kind but have gone through the process of gov't red tape to be approved. They say the words "K&N MARINE SAE J1928" on them. We have them for carbed and F/I models. The carbed kind do not have the fuel line fume tube you are talking about as most boats use electric fuel pumps that do not have them. There are adapters available for attaching crankcase vent hoses to them though. Here is a link to them and if you scroll down... that is my ride at Elsinore. http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm

Boater Bill
    DD - I run the automobile K&N velocity stack setup and like it. My engine is "open" like yours.

TaylorLP20
    Originally posted by BowTie Rick:
    We do make USCG approved flame arrestors. They are the same thing as the automotive kind but have gone through the process of gov't red tape to be approved. They say the words "K&N MARINE SAE J1928" on them. We have them for carbed and F/I models. The carbed kind do not have the fuel line fume tube you are talking about as most boats use electric fuel pumps that do not have them.
    Rick,
    Thanks for taking the time to post up this info. As far as mechanical or electrical pumps, I think you will find that just as many use the mechanical with a fuel fume connection as use the electric.
    Also I would like to know when SAE J1928 was approved for a carb engine in a marine application (especially in an enclosed engine compartment). As far as I know SAE (key word being "Automotive") does not equate to USCG approval.
    Coast Guard inspection requires "USCG" approval and I think they could care less about SAE standards. All I would like to see is something in print that says that my filter is USCG approved. That way if I have a backfire and burn my boat to the ground my insurance investigator cant say screw you pal. No USCG approval, no coverage!
    And if they don't have a fume conection they should be advertised as "not for use with mechanical fuel pump"
    Also, why does the Jegs catalog say these are USCG approved but it doesn't say that on your website.
    I would appreciate if you could clear this up.
    [This message has been edited by TaylorLP20 (edited April 09, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast