Thread: To Bowl or Not to Bowl??

Lake Ape
    I need a new bowl for my boat since the old one is cracked. I have a 12JE and want to add a diverter later on. Should I just buy a cheap once piece and forget it or should I hold out for a two piece. Can I turn the one piece sideways so that I can add a diverter later? If I did that it would put the lube bolts in a funny position, does this matter? It's on an old CVX-20 with a 460 that's pretty heavy so I am not to worried about running wedges, etc I won't be racing it! Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

If you are going to add a DIVERTER(Place, American Turbine, Aggressor), a one piece bowl will work just fine. NO modifications needed.
    If you are going to add a Jet-O-Vator(an old, used Berkeley trim not made in 20 plus years) then you would need to rotate the bowl 90 degrees.

Lake Ape
    What would make a bowl crack? I thought maybe a big rock got in there between the impeller and bowl, but the impeller is spotless.

460 jus getn it
    lake ape where in mesa are you located

FHI-prez
    What would make a bowl crack? I thought maybe a big rock got in there between the impeller and bowl, but the impeller is spotless.
    20+ years of use, poor casting from the start, a generally weak piece, etc....take your pick.
    If I were you I'd go with a split bowl so if you decide later to snoot/droop it, you have that option. As was already stated you can use a place diverter just fine with a one piece bowl, you just can't put a droop/snoot on it. You can pick up a used split bowl for a couple hundred bucks or less.
    Nick

Duane HTP
    Lake Ape, Check that bowl very carefully. There are a lot of those old Berkeley bowls that were poor casting work, and the casting marks can really look like a crack when it really isn't. So look it over closely.

Lake Ape
    I'm actually in Tempe at Price/Broadway. I have been looking for a two piece for awhile but haven't found one yet for cheap. I did find a polished one piece for $75 that I should probabley jump on. The boat is really heavy and the motor is really old, would droop do many any good? It currently spins a AA at a supposed 4500 RPMs but I think my tach is junk!

Lake Ape
    You can kind of see it in this picture:
    http://members.cox.net/ryan.bailey/P1010116a.JPG

Lake Ape
    Oh, ya, I forgot to ask why is my steering on the wrong side? In order to use a diverter do I have drill a hole in transom and switch it around?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Oh, ya, I forgot to ask why is my steering on the wrong side? In order to use a diverter do I have drill a hole in transom and switch it around?
    The reason you have the steering and reverse on the other side is because its a "e" pump. Place diverter has a new style diverter but its not cheap. You can change it to a b or c style but then will be changing cables and such.
    Berkeley 12JE Elite Series $505.00 "just for the nozzle"
    Here is thier website. Look at the "elite" model diverter. That will give you a idea of what it looks like
    http://www.placediverter.com/