Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 or 10 to Havasu, need some input

dicudmore
    depending what time you leave all the above I've used...
    I like to go 210 to 15 to 40 depending on traffic conditions, but often wind up going through pearblossom

Essex502
    We took the 15 to 210 to the 5 to return to Santa Clarita once last year on a Sunday fairly early in the day. We used that rout instead of Pearblossom due to a fire off of the 14 that had traffic snarled. The route - not towing - took us about 10 longer than the Pearblossom route but I was running 80+ for most of it. Not entirely practical given you are towing (I assume). For us the distance was longer but the higher speed allowed nealy the same time. From Ventura, you'd still need to get from the 210 to the 101 in some manner - i.e. take the 5 via 126 (another "death highway").
    In making 20+ trips to Havasu each year for the last 3 years I will still take Pearblossom unless I know from traffic or weather reports that it'll be a slower route.

Speedin' Ian
    Leaving from TO I usually take the 118 to the the 5 to the 14 exit Pearblossom... but last time I had a close call on the 138 with my girlfriend, buddy and his girlfriend in the car and it really spooked me so I may change my route.

rivercrazy
    Isn't 80 "against the law" ? So its OK to speed but not pay california prop taxes on boats?

CrazyHippy
    I'm in camarillo, and go the 40 to havasu, the 10 to parker. Time wise they are w/in 20 min (longer to havasu usually) but traffic can really throw that 20 minutes out the window.
    BJH :idea:

Tremor Therapy
    After numerous near misses, and seeing some horrific accidents, I always take the 10. It may be a bit longer, but I prefer it to some of hte things I have seen and experienced on the smaller highways! :idea:

burtandnancy
    Ventura Freeway (101) to 134 to 210 to 15 to 40 is the straightest route, however on Friday afternoons (or nearly any afternoon) the big hold up is at Devore (210/15 intersection) . If I had to do it on Friday PM, I wouldn't go.
    Don't you love the way CalTrans builds its freeways today? The "new" 210 was designed 25 years ago, and never upgraded when the IE exploded in growth. Its inconcievable to me why anyone in CA today would build a three lane freeway. Two lanes for slow trucks, and all the rest of us, including motor homes, cube vans etc, get one lane if lucky. And people wonder where road range comes from...

UltraStealth
    I go either the 138 or 58. On holiday weekends I normally take the 58 up there from the LA area. If it is a weekday or a less crowded time I may take the 138. I have had some close calls. The 58 has two lanes at least halfway or three quarters the way to the 40. There have been times where I have gone the 58 route and someone ends up going the 138 and it isn't much difference each way. Give or take 10 minutes. I prefer the 58 and the extra 10 minutes, plus you are not stuck behind a bigrig for 40 miles at 40 mph. I agree with E502 on the 58 & 395 split on a holiday weekend, it can be slow. I have a friend that lives in Palmdale and there is a way you can cut through Palmdale Road which will take you out on the 15 by the outlets. It is supposed to be really fast and not a lot of traffic. I wouldn't recommend taking the 10 from Ventura.
    Just my .02

rivercrazy
    I know the shortest and best way between palmdale and victorville but I'll never tell!!!! :rollside:

voodoomedman
    Isn't 80 "against the law" ? So its OK to speed but not pay california prop taxes on boats?
    Now that's freaking funny!!!! Called him out good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast