Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Officer Faces DUI Charges After Crash On Lake

H20bug
    killr,
    thank you for your concern about my access to media outlets,my question is answered :mix:

Jrocket
    You sure it's still there? I bumped it about a month ago wondering what ever came from it, people got mad at me and whoever started the thread deleted it within an hour so it no longer exists.
    Maybe the people who got mad at me for bumping it know the story. Should I post their names? Nah.
    The original thread might be gone but theres still plenty to read about
    That brings a question to mind,why did that thread get so hush hush?...Just because they were cops?Sounds like BS to me if thats the case.

FHI-prez
    Well, I made it most of the way through the thread so if someone already said this then....err...oops.
    Like it or not cops are held to a higher standard than reg citizens. They know that going in. If you can't handle that, then don't be a cop. My baby brother is a cop here in Florida so I kinda know what they go through. They are constantly on eggshells with John-Q-public and their carreer. It's part of the job. It's part of the stress. And it's part of the reason divorce is so high in law enforcement nationwide.
    Cops can (not always) get away with things the normal joe can't. That's one of the untaught bennies of the job. It's true, and any cop that says differently is either a boy scout or lying. Short example: a lady friend of mine was being beaten by her officer husband. She gets away long enough to call 911. He grabs the phone from her and hangs it up. Of course the address comes on the screen at the call center, so by policy they are supposed to dispatch an officer. Instead they call the husbands cell phone (not the home phone) and asks if everything is ok. Predictably he says everythings fine, his daughter accidentally called 911. He commenced to beating her. He has since been fired for something completely unrelated.
    Policeman and women are public figures. If they screw up the cameras are on them, and they ALL know it. But some start believe in their own invincibility and push it a bit too far. I can't tell you how many times an officer has been stopped for a DUI only to be let go, or even worse DRIVEN HOME BY AN OFFICER CHUM OF THEIRS ON DUTY! Job perk.
    Cops are people too, but from the time they enter the academy they are fore warned of the trappings of getting themselves into trouble. The last time I checked there was no "draft" for police officers, they all enter the job knowing the drill and of their own free will. Most cops like the fact that they get put on a pedestal in every day goings on. They don't like that same pedestal much when shit is being hurled at them. Even an off duty officer has a responsibility to not dishonor or bring "heat" on their department. There is no relationship between an average joe getting busted then going back to work when he's done his time. Unfortunately for cops there is no such thing as "off duty". As far as the news is concerned, a cop f'ing up on or off duty, will always be a bigger news story than a crackhead getting into trouble, AGAIN. If you're a cop and you don't like it...then look for a job with less responsibility or deal with the "with greater power comes greater responsibility". No one is forcing you to be a cop.
    Nick

Boatcop
    Boatcop, do you believe that we as a society hold our various agencies & officers to a "Higher Standard" in regards to personel conduct on & off duty. And do you deem it rightly so, or flawed? .... just asking an honest question?
    I like to think people believe that we're held to higher standards. Sometimes it doesn't appear that way. I believe that we should be. Someone mentioned the word "hypocrite" and here it certainly applies. How can one arrest, jail, and charge someone with a crime that they themselves commit while a Police Officer?
    Departments often cover up or ignore substandard performance, incompetance, and criminal conduct when it suits them. Either to save the department from embarassment or try and protect cases in progress or for whatever reason. Sometimes it's political. Sometimes it's personal. But it usually backfires and costs more in the long run than if they had brought the situation to the forefront in the beginning. It's as though they were asleep when they taught the class on ethics and integrity in the Academy.
    I believe that the public realizes that we are human, too, and would have more respect for the Badge and the Departments if we show that we won't stand for criminal conduct, even among our own. They can forgive a Department for having a screwed up cop a lot easier if they knew that he (or she) got punishment that "fit the crime", instead of them sweeping it under the rug.
    Here in Arizona we try and take care of the problems, but unfortunately it's usually after the fact. But action is definitely taken.
    Here's some interesting reading on how Arizona handles Police misconduct, and malfeasance. Keep in mind that the action taken is by the certifying board and is independent of anything the Officers' Agencies may have done, or not done.
    Arizona Peace Officer Integrity Bulletins (http://www.azpost.state.az.us/integr...rity_index.htm)

H20bug
    Allan
    thank you for taking the time to reply with integrity, and honesty concerning a difficult subject. I wholeheartedly agree with you. your an asset to the LE community. A true class act.
    Regards!!!

mbrown2
    I am sure if a Fireman were lighting fires on their time-off, they would be fired...

Dr. Eagle
    I am sure if a Fireman were lighting fires on their time-off, they would be fired...
    Unless he were a flamer...

mbrown2
    Boatcop, I could not agree with you more..excellent post.....

LOWRIVER2
    Is it me or are the LAPD guys always away when this stuff comes up?
    Ok, what happens next:
    Multiple felony charges: arraignment, bail or stays in custody, prelim. plead or takes to trial.
    As for dept.: Professional Standards Bureau (new name for IA) stays abreast of criminal proceedings, does it's investigation. Termination coming soon. Ofcr. has chance at Board or Rights but most likely won't be an issue as felony charges on this one will most likely result in jail time. Ofcr.is open to civil suits, can lose all he owns on this one.
    As Alan said, the ofcr. most likely is in our Protective league and will have an attorney by the league. This attorney is paid for by the ofcr.'s (us) in the union, not the dept. The issue of the league providing legal counsel is based on what plan the ofcr. bought when he signed up. Tell me if I'm wrong Alan but I'm reading that you think LAPD is paying for his attorney. Trust me, that is NOT the case. My dues are. As for the issue of what a union's attorney's will consider to defend, that's a whole other issue and the area has many gray zones, especially in one on one accusations. This case, is not one of those, however.
    Oh, as for DUI's in LAPD:
    First one (straight DUI) with no priors (obviously), 22 days (roughly $8-$10,000 for a P-3) in suspension w/out pay. Ofcr. pays all court proceedings/fines ($5k+ like everyone else. Ofcr. must go to a rehab. facility, take classes above/beyond what they are sentenced to do, and of course, pay the attorney fees which average another 5-8k, . They also won't be promoting to ANYTHING for at least 4-8 years.
    I'm not gonna say 10-18k is enough of punishment for a DUI or that they should keep their job. I will say it's more than an average cititzen pays or has their job affected by the same incident. They also sign a "contract" that states that another conviction is termination (as if/lol).
    Drinking and driving ANYTHING is GAY!!
    Anyone who has a problem with that can meet up with me, anytime. Oh, and I DON'T frequent the Sand Bar/LOL!!
    Low River OUT!!

BoatPI
    It is very unfortunate that this occurred, and more so for the vicitms on the PWC. Although we do not know the specific circumstances of the collision, most boat vs PWC colissions are the fault of the PWC operator. And should this be the case, alcohol involvement is a contributing factor. Heck, we do not know if the PWC operator was DUI. All that being said, the most serious issue is fleeing the scene of an injury colission. That alone if true will most likely get this guy fired. So ask yourselves, if he worked selling cars, or marine parts, or was a dock worker making 150 G a year, would his employer fire him. Maybe not, and if so he could just find work with another employer, as a cop this is not a posibility in most cases. Time to find other fields of employment. If he has a family and a house, more tragedy.
    As far as our many comments about cops go, we would not be discussing this much if the operator of the boat was not a cop.
    The public is often shocked by this because we DO hold officers to a much higher standard than peeps in other professions. Higher than nearly every other occupation in this country. They are the public trust, for sound judgement, etc. They have the ability to take away our civil rights by arresting someone and jailing them. No one else has such power except a judge.
    Most large police agencies sift through 2,000 to 3,000 applicants and hire one or two officers. LAPD and L.A. Sheriff's departments are hiring, or trying to hire, 1,500 officers in the next year. It will not happen, not enough qualified applicants.
    Jack Webb said it best during an episode of Dragnet; when an lady asked Sergeant Friday how an offcier on the show could have commited a theft depicted in the episode, Friday responded, "lady we have one big flaw in LAPD, we hire from the human race."

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast