Thread: Location of Turbultor?

saubouin
    Anybody have a pic of where in the exhaust system the turburlator is located? I was doing some work over the weekend on the boat and it looks like it's located where the cast Iron Exhaust Manifold meets the stainless steel exhaust pipe? It looks like there are four long bolts to remove, a couple of small hoses and that's pretty much it.
    Is this right?
    TIA
    Sebastien

Beer-30
    You got it. It's self explanatory. Take off the 4 nuts and loosen the hose clamps, the riser lifts right off. Right there is the turbulator. Take if off. Leave both gaskets and bolt it back together. Simple.

I know it seems to be the flavor of the day removing the turbulator but it's there for a reason. To help eliminate reversion. If it wasn't a benefit the manufacturer, wouldn't bother to use it, especially if "slight" power increases could be had by not doing so. I'd hate to have a reversion / warranty issue arise and be denied because I removed the stock anti-reversion device from the exhaust system. Just a thought. :hammerhea

spectras only
    Mike ,it's really not there to stop reversion .If the waterline is too high in the exhaust system on some low freeboard boats ,it won't stop water ingestion. This plate [ turbulator ] has an upward lip to catch droplets [ condensation formed by rapid cool down] after a hard run .I would just wait for the engine to cool down rather than shotting down fast after a hard run. I think ,mercruiser doesn't want to replace rusty valves under warranty .

This is not what we were told by the manufacturer of the turbulator (Gil). During overlap with large cams and some not so large cams, water droplets actually crawl down the inside wall of the tailpipe at low engine speed and idle, substantial amounts in some cases. The turbulator was designed to flash steam these droplets off into vapor before they can make their way into the engine. Reversion can occur any time the engine is at idle, not just after a hard run. I've never heard the shutting down after a hard run theory before, not saying it can't be a factor but just never heard it as the purpose of the turbulator.

spectras only
    Mike , i'm just wondering why the 350 mag motors didn't have these plates ! The 377 Scorpion didn't have it ,but my 2004 377 has it.They just started adding these plates after 2001.

Mike , i'm just wondering why the 350 mag motors didn't have these plates ! The 377 Scorpion didn't have it ,but my 2004 377 has it.They just started adding these plates after 2001.
    Perhaps a cam change or perhaps they just realized at some point that reversion was a potential problem in the application and thus made the change to include the plate. Just guessing.

spectras only
    Have you seen these plates ? They must have at least 25 % reduction in flow :2purples: . I have through hub exhausts on my Mirage and wondered if there's really any concern about removing them. I'm still trying to find info on the cam on this engine [ 377 ]. I think it's a Crane ,but
    so far no info found.

Beer-30
    Mine's long off of warranty. I'm not worried. I always idle down and let stuff cool before shut down. Boats of the past didn't have these and I haven't seen or heard of a common problem, due to lack of them.
    There is not near enough overlap in a stock 496 mag or HO cam to worry about reversion.
    Flappers on the tips keep floods away.