Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VALE COVERS

DOHARA
    I AM WONDERING IF EVERY ONE HAS OIL DRIP RAILS INSIDE THE TOP OF VALVE COVERS? I HAVE SOME CHROME MARINE DEALS THAT HAVE A BREATHER BAFFLE AND FILL HOLE. THE REASON I'M ASKING IS I BROKE A ROCKER STUD LAST WEEKEND AND WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT STUD AND ROCKER IT LOOKED LIKE IT GOT REAL HOT FROM NO OIL AND CAUSING STUD TO GET WEAK AND BREAK. THE ENGINE BUILDER SAID I SHOULD HAVE OILING DRIP RAILS IN MY VALVE COVERS. THE ENGINE IS 454 BBC WITH ONLY 6 TRIPS ON IT, THE ONLY WAY I THINK IT WON'T GET OIL UP TO ONLY THAT ROCKER IS A BAD LIFTER, FLAT CAM, OR SOMETHING CLOGGED THE PUSHROD. DOES ANYBODY RUN OIL DEFLECTORS? I'M TRYING TO PIN THIS ON ENGINE BUILDER SO IT DOESN'T DRAIN MY CHECK BOOK.

Boater Bill
    Are you talking about spray bars inside the valve covers? These are used to keep the valve springs "cool".

DOHARA
    WELL KINDA THE SAME THING. WHEN OIL IS SHOT FROM PUSHRODS AND AT HIGH RPM'S IT TENDS TO OVERSHOOT OIL CAUSING IT TO HIT TOP OF VALVE COVERS AND NOT OILING ROCKERS PROPERLY. NOW IF YOU HAVE OIL DRIP RAILS ON INSIDE TOP OV VALVE COVERS IT WILL DRIP BACK DOWN ONTO ROCKERS INSTED OF RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE AND BACK ONTO THE HEAD.

Boater Bill
    Well, I ain't no pro but I've never seen anything like that off the shelf or seen anyone running a setup like that. Plenty of people out there running their equipt hard without top end oiling problems, even with stock stamped rockers. Might want to check all cyls by using a good oil pump primer (not the shaft only type)or old dist to make sure all are oiling properly. Also check to make sure the pivot balls are ok/installed properly (stamped rockers) or if aftermarket roller rockers they are installed correctly as there is (at least on mine) a "top" and bottom" on the trunion. Then again...you mighta just broke a stud. Good Luck!

Ultra21
    I think the tabs you're referring to came stock on some of the older BBC's. My 69 Chevelle had them on the 375 hp 396 which was a Tanawanda (sp) GM motor with stock chrome valve covers. The tabs protrude down from the top of the covers to deflect the oil to the valve springs and you can see the spot weld dimples from the outside of the covers. I haven't seen too many of these and have to believe that many more BBC's came without them than with. I don't think this would be your problem.

mister460
    Don't need the drip rails. The rockers fling so much oil at high rpm that they wouldn't make much difference in respect to the rockers. Oil splash covers drip oil to cool the valve springs. It's tough to tell whose fault it is. Probably something beyond anyone's control, but a good engine shop will eat the cost and fix it under warranty. If they don't, they're not worth crow shit on a griddle.

DOHARA
    WELL I TOOK ENGINE IN YESTERDAY AND THE GUY THAT BUILT THE ENGINE SAID IT'S NOBODY'S FAULT, WICH IS TRUE. HE GOING TO DO ALL WORK LABOR FREE BUT, I HAVE TO BUY THE MAJOR PARTS. I,M GOING TO UPGRADE ROCKERS TO COMP FULL ROLLERS COST ABOUT 260.00 BUCKS BUT WILL HOPEFULLY FIX PROBLEM. WE WERE LOOKING AT OIL HOLES IN THE STAMPED STEEL W/ROLLER TIP COMPS THAT WAS ON ENGINE AND THE OIL HOLES ARE DRILLED SO THAT OIL COMES OUT TOWARDS THE BACK INSTED OF SHOOTING IT FORWARD. KINDA WEIRD. OH WELL S---T HAPPENS IN THE WORLD OF BOATING.

superdave013
    Those comp rockers are real good ones. You will not break one. You might want to up grade your rocker studs at this time also.

DOHARA
    OH YA, I'M PUTTING ARP STUDS IN, SH-T FOR ONLY 40.00 BUCKS FOR ARP STUDS WHAT THE HELL YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. THE REASON THAT STUD FAILED IS THAT IT DIDN'T GET SUFFICIENT OIL TO LUBE BALL AND HEATED UP THAT STUD TILL IT FAILED. EVERY BOLT ON THAT ENGINE WAS ARP EXCEPT THE ROCKER STUDS. I HAD PUT THOSE STAINLESS ARP BOLT KIT ON WHEN I HAD ENGINE BUILT AND IT LOOKS NICE W/NO RUST. I LOOKED THRU JEGS AND SUMMIT AND NOBODY HAS VALVE COVERS WITH ROCKER DRIP SHIELDS FOR BBC, ONLY SMALL BLOCK FORD AND CHEVY.

superdave013
    I know what you mean. It's that one little part that gets skimped that will cost you your whole engine! It's hard to find where to stop. See, now you might want to think about a stud girdle! You most likely don't need it but they do tie all the studs together and stops any flexing. Also they will keep a the rocker arm nut from backing off if for some reason it comes loose. I run stud girdles on everything I build. But I do go over kill on everything too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast