Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decisions decisions

ilikemtopless
    hey guys can anyone help? I am doing a complete resto on a 1975 18ft sleekcraft V bottom. and I do mean complete, the boat is currently sitting on a dolly in my garage stripped to the bare hull. I've owned the boat for a couple of years now. Originally it had a Hardin Marine 455 Olds 390 hp.
    That was until disaster struck last summer on the mighty mississip. ("our version of heaven in the midwest") The oil filter gasket blew out the side and took all of about 20 seconds to destroy the engine. This was the single event that prompted the resto.
    But enoughe rambling, I decided to trash the Olds and go with big block chevy power. It has a jacuzzi 12 jy with dominator conversion, B cut impeller, place diverter with bowl schims and a blue nozzel reducer, loader grate and I am thinking of adding a ride plate. The new big block is currently at the machine shop awaiting futher instruction. It's a 427 cu.in. steel crank,steel rods that will be shot-peened connected to forged pistons with a compression ratio of somwhere in the 9-9.5x1 range.(havn't ordered them yet). The cam will be hyd. lift 530 lift int@ext with 330 duration. The heads have been totally gone thru and roller rockers replace the stock rocker arms and stainless steel valves. I will be running OTT Basset water injected headers. I have not yet decided on an intake manifold or carburator yet. Iwould like to see speeds of 70+, is this out of reach or a realistic goal? The boat ran hi 50's to low 60's with the 455 olds turning 4800 rpm.What would be a good carb/intake combo,any advice would be welcome!

Heatseeker
    I am no expert, but I'd throw a 4.00" stroke crank in that block and make it a 454. You would need to do some relieving for the crank, but there is no substitute for 'cubes'. That would help get you closer to your goal of 70 mph.

Timmy
    ilikemtopless, chech out the specs on my engine on ok boys show your bow tie stuff. That engine was in a 1972 Kona with a Jacuzzi wj pump that was modified to use a Dominator Place Diverter. This was a heavy low profile boat. It ran 12.78 @ 78 mph on the ADBA clocks. Worked great on the river.

ilikemtopless
    Originally posted by Timmy:
    ilikemtopless, chech out the specs on my engine on ok boys show your bow tie stuff. That engine was in a 1972 Kona with a Jacuzzi wj pump that was modified to use a Dominator Place Diverter. This was a heavy low profile boat. It ran 12.78 @ 78 mph on the ADBA clocks. Worked great on the river.
    Timmy thanks for the reply,er umm what where the specs on your big block?

572Daytona

Timmy
    iliemtopless, this is it
    74 454 2 bolt bored .030
    cast crank turned .030/.030
    stock rods beams polished arp 3/8 bolts
    forged trw pistons 9 to 1 comp
    comp roller cam 244@.050 .623 lift 110 lobe seperation
    crane roller rockers
    oval port open chamber heads 2.19/1.88 valves
    Dart intake with single 850dp
    HEI dist. with accel coil on top

ilikemtopless
    Originally posted by Timmy:
    iliemtopless, this is it
    74 454 2 bolt bored .030
    cast crank turned .030/.030
    stock rods beams polished arp 3/8 bolts
    forged trw pistons 9 to 1 comp
    comp roller cam 244@.050 .623 lift 110 lobe seperation
    crane roller rockers
    oval port open chamber heads 2.19/1.88 valves
    Dart intake with single 850dp
    HEI dist. with accel coil on top
    Timmy thanks for the input, keepem commin guys and hey does anyone else hot-boat on the mississippi? (you guys don't know what your missin)

smokin
    Ilikemtopless too... you live in hampton huh I live in cedar rapids. I have'nt yet took my jet to the mississippi but I have boated there before have you been to WHACKY'S in glen haven? craig

XClutchboy725
    HEY iLIKEMTOPLESS....
    Your boat sounds similar to mine. Mine is a 74 Southwind 18.5 (very shallow vee). I just completed resto myself last year. Boat use to have 455 Olds and Jacuzzi WJ. Now has 454 LS6 with the following.....

XClutchboy725
    HEY iLIKEMTOPLESS....
    Your boat sounds similar to mine. Mine is a 74 Southwind 18.5 (very shallow vee). I just completed resto myself last year. Boat use to have 455 Olds and Jacuzzi WJ. Now has 454 LS6 with the following.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast