Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Wrecked/Crashed Circle Boat

Cowboy Bob
    Who the hell is going to Buy a boat made from wrecked boat mold COME ON NOW what the hell are you thinking! a NOBODY building a circle boat from wrecked parts that will sell REAL WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As always, just full of kind words and encouragement.

dossangers
    Unless your Julian Pettingill i dont think theres a chance of selling a new type circle boat. besides its already been done to DEATH!

Kurtis500
    Unless your Julian Pettingill i dont think theres a chance of selling a new type circle boat. besides its already been done to DEATH!
    I agree, if you got a drum of gelcoat, resin and rolls of glass I would find something else to make non-boat related, thats where the money is at.
    Besides, if you make changes to the existing style hulls you will end up with more criticism about the boat from the almighty skeptics before the first one ever hits the water. Unless its a labor of love and you dont care what others think give it a second thought.

Kurtis500
    Valid points!
    My thinking is that the "Plug Boat" would remain as a "Plug" after pulling the Mold off it.
    I think that there would be some changes made to the plug, cosmetically and otherwise, so I'm not sure if it would be a "Usable" Boat after I am done.
    I am not really interested in "Splashing" a Biesemeyer, there are already enough Biesemeyer Molds out there already as well as people building Biesemeyers...you could probably buy a Biesemeyer Mold cheaper than you could make one.
    The other way of thinking would be to just use the "Plug" for measurements and Ideas and build a true "Plug Boat" from scratch, esentially a new design.
    Just thinking out loud......
    You can pull the mold off a good boat. Then splash a workable plug off the mold. You can then remodifiy your new plug while retaining proper flange and attachment locations and still reshaping whatever you want. You will keep in line with the cap of the boat if you do this.
    I still like my previous post better though.
    Good luck

Cowboy Bob
    You can pull the mold off a good boat. Then splash a workable plug off the mold. You can then remodifiy your new plug while retaining proper flange and attachment locations and still reshaping whatever you want. You will keep in line with the cap of the boat if you do this.
    I still like my previous post better though.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the thoughtful insight.
    It does seem that the general concensus is that unless certain "Wizards of Black Boat Magic" are involved it's an inferior design and could never be competitive.
    And at the end of the Day, Circle Boat Racing is kind of dying off. All everyone wants to do is build play Boats.

xracer
    cowboy, if you take a short trip over to IHBA (www.ihbaracing.com) and review the K-boat rules you will discover that just about anything interesting in hull design will be illegal. the rules are more restrictive than APBA.
    you might be able to race a clone of a current K-boat.
    originally APBA K-boats had almost no rules except being a somewhat flat-bottom. V-hulls would be legal. pads would be legal.
    it's always interested me that as the racers tighten up the rules to eliminate new designs interest falls off. and as innovation disappears so does much of the spectator appeal. but the racers investment is not at risk due to innovation.
    you might also take a trip over to the Unlimited Lights (www.ulhra.com) and see the results of a minimal hull rules, fairly open engine rules racing organization. there are some great racing clips there. the boats range from lighter than lights as an entry class to really fast supercharged almost unlimited hydroplanes.

Cowboy Bob
    cowboy, if you take a short trip over to IHBA (www.ihbaracing.com) and review the K-boat rules you will discover that just about anything interesting in hull design will be illegal. the rules are more restrictive than APBA.
    you might be able to race a clone of a current K-boat.
    originally APBA K-boats had almost no rules except being a somewhat flat-bottom. V-hulls would be legal. pads would be legal.
    it's always interested me that as the racers tighten up the rules to eliminate new designs interest falls off. and as innovation disappears so does much of the spectator appeal. but the racers investment is not at risk due to innovation.
    you might also take a trip over to the Unlimited Lights (www.ulhra.com) and see the results of a minimal hull rules, fairly open engine rules racing organization. there are some great racing clips there. the boats range from lighter than lights as an entry class to really fast supercharged almost unlimited hydroplanes.
    Thanks for the info but I was unable to locate a "Rules" area on the IHBA website.

xracer
    home page. scroll down to "ihba 2005 rule book", then click on "click here to the IHBA 2005 rule book".
    K-boat is towards the end of the long book

worlds fastest,revenge boats
    just so you know THATS THE SAME RULES THAT WE ALL RACED UNDER FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS,thats why i keeped them in the rules when i set up the k,s for ihba. john

Wildchild80
    just so you know THATS THE SAME RULES THAT WE ALL RACED UNDER FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS,thats why i keeped them in the rules when i set up the k,s for ihba. john
    JOHN
    are you going to Red Bluff this weekend?
    Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast