Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks to pulling the strut bushing out?

dmontzsta
    My dad spent 4 hours just grinding and scraping away at his brass bushing, trying to get it out. He finally got it out. He used the trick from Rex to get the new fiber bushing in and it worked like a champ. I have a fiber bushing also, Rex said to cut it in half and use half on each end. I am going to be doing this soon and was just wondering if there is an easier way to get the brass bushing out? I was thinking of an air saw with a thin bit and kind of cutting it away, but I dont want to cut the strut at all.
    Thanks.

Speedin' Ian
    I have never done this but when ever my dad changes the bushing he cuts the old one in half (long ways) and prys it out, you just have to make sure you don't cut into the strut itself.

If you're real careful and skillful you can use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade with quick success. otherwise I'd use a hacksaw blade holder that holds the blade from one end. You could also try using a square ended punch through the opposite end if the barrel is short enough to reach (usually not).
    Once you get a slice through one side of the old bushing it should collapse enough to easily drive or pull it out.
    There's also a slide hammer tool (specialized tool) that has a single L shaped jaw that if you get behind the bushing you can drive (pull) it out that way (if you happen to have the slide hammer). Memory tells me it's made by OTC. I happen to have one and have used it successfully that way in the past.
    Whichever method you use, include a good dose of patience so you don't damage the strut.

Kim Hanson
    Think about it and use you head.........( . )( . )........... :idea:

HM
    I used a hack saw. I was able to feed the blade thru and reconnect it - a lot better than using the blade with the holder on one side. The brass is soft, so it cuts pretty quick.
    Did Rex reccommend using a piece of all-thread with large fender washers for pressing in the new bearing?

dmontzsta
    Think about it and use you head.........( . )( . )........... :idea:
    Advice from you means nothing. :sleeping:
    Thanks Rex, I think I will try my skilled hands with the sawzall.

dmontzsta
    Did Rex reccommend using a piece of all-thread with large fender washers for pressing in the new bearing?
    yup and that worked like a champ.

ColeTR1
    I'd use a hacksaw blade holder that holds the blade from one end.
    Once you get a slice through one side of the old bushing it should collapse enough to easily drive or pull it out.
    I do this!!

GofastRacer
    Yep same here works for me!.

v-drive
    Hmmmm! I have a patent in mind v-drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast