Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tricks to pulling the strut bushing out?

If the two halves go in the strut kinda loose---put a little locktite on it--don't put epoxy! KEEP AN EYE ON IT --Steve

MoJetBoPar
    For something like that, I would use threaded rod and a socket/washer combo (the next size smaller than the bushing) to push the bushing out from the backside while using a larger socket at the opening. This is all assuming the whip strut bore is one diameter.
    I think mine need replaced too, just pulled my v-drive gearbox to replace the lower seal and there seems to be alot of play out at the propeller. Any idea of how much is still ok??

HM
    For something like that, I would use threaded rod and a socket/washer combo (the next size smaller than the bushing) to push the bushing out from the backside while using a larger socket at the opening. This is all assuming the whip strut bore is one diameter.
    I think mine need replaced too, just pulled my v-drive gearbox to replace the lower seal and there seems to be alot of play out at the propeller. Any idea of how much is still ok??
    Check the play on the strut bearing after you have pulled it out of the water. When they are dry, many will be loose, but not so when they swell due to water and heat.
    I tried pressing my old bearings out that way and ended up cutting them. Cutting them really isn't that bad if you get your trailer jacked up so your are in a good position for the manual labor - it only takes a minute since most of the materials are pretty soft.

GofastRacer
    I made this tool from scrap laying around for installing strut bushings, pulls both in at the same time like nothing!..
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...505/12Tool.jpg

meaniam
    hello rex i am in the middle of completely redoing my 69 raysoncraft and would like to do it without rtv all over the floor like the last guy that owned it before me i removed everything from the hull for paint is there seals for the skags prop shaft piece that is on the inside i belive they are called strut shaft and all other prop guide pieces that attach to the boat i also need to know what if any bearing go on the prop shaft and seal for shaft i can brang the parts to your shop no problem just need gudance on how to do this right
    mike :devil:

meaniam
    hey i am replacing my prop strut bushing i dont think im doing this right. first i brought shaft and strut to rex marine. they sold me the fiberbushing looks like cardboard material, the old one i swears looks rubber but may look like that cuase it is old. i dont know. now on this strut it has 2 bushings.one on each end.i know that i should hacksaw this thing, and have done so in the groves. i am afraid to do to much. it feels like i have a lip inside. i noticed this when i was doing to stirke it using hammer and screw driver, to try and force this out. is it safe to strike here.
    thanks to all that inform your help is appreciated from this novice
    thanks agian
    mike

meaniam
    hey i am replacing my prop strut bushing i dont think im doing this right. first i brought shaft and strut to rex marine. they sold me the fiberbushing looks like cardboard material, the old one i swears looks rubber but may look like that cuase it is old. i dont know. now on this strut it has 2 bushings.one on each end.i know that i should hacksaw this thing, and have done so in the groves. i am afraid to do to much. it feels like i have a lip inside. i noticed this when i was doing to stirke it using hammer and screw driver, to try and force this out. is it safe to strike here.
    thanks agian
    mike :2purples:

mean you are a computer novice fo sure.

meaniam
    thanks ss mike

GofastRacer
    thanks agian
    mike :2purples:
    Check your other thread amigo!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12