Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't do this to your jet!

LVjetboy
    What bugs me is it didn't have to be that way. No Cole, I didn't hit anything. :smile: Here's what happened...
    Late Friday night (dark), backed trailer in a little deep. Usually 1/2 top of fender exposed is perfect, depending on ramp angle...as I walked back to the boat I noticed most of the fender tops covered.
    Mistake 1: I think to myself, no biggy, I'm an expert jet driver I'll put her right between the fenders first shot.
    So I do that click her off and it's a perfect align between fenders and for the a-arm hook to the bow eye. Snap the pin in and we're ready to go! I've always prided myself at no dock drama, a quick, smooth launch and retrieve.
    Mistake 2: It's late Friday night and still there's people lining up to launch. I pull out a tad fast. Never a problem in the past...look back and what's this?? Now that a-arms pointing backward!
    So here's the deal. If you have a trailer like mine (Ellis - but others may have a freakin' a-arm pointing forward) a combination of trailer depth and initial pulling speed can cause the a-arm to pivot up. That pivoting tends to lift the front of the boat off the trailer, at the same time adding more water drag on the boat. If your trailer has no stop on this arm, at some point the arm becomes a crow-bar and it doesn't take much back force on the boat combined with arm leverage to pop that bow eye.
    If there'd been a simple piece of chain and hook to keep the front of the arm from lifting and pivoting too far...this wouldn't have happened.
    jer

keithmenard
    moving company I had deicided to ship my boat at a downward angle and tore mine up pretty well too.
    There was this girl in town who worked at our local bank...atractive, nice girl. One day, I looked over and said...YOU HAVE LONG SKINNY ARMS!
    After explaining to her why this wasn't meant as an insult and how she would be my best friend if she could get her arm into my light hole, she agreed, and my u-bolt was fixed!

cole13
    I knew I was on this forum for some reason. You learn something everyday. I too have an A-Arm, and I have never thought about that happening. Good to know but sorry it had to happen to you first for all of us to learn.

Heatseeker
    That's a bummer Jer. Don't feel bad, I've seen that happen many times.
    Warning: Pulling out of the water too fast will do it every time! Don't let drunk people pull your boat out!!! I'm not saying LV was drunk(I'm sure he's smarter than that), but drunks are a sure fire way to have the bow-eye torn right out!

HammerDown
    I'm not saying LV was drunk
    No, no one's saying that...(but)... he does like those orange smoothy cocktails on the water from time to time...right Jer

*BN*
    I have an eye ring mounted on the trailer just under the nose of the boat. I have a short piece of rope contacted to it and the other end attached to the clip for the bow ring.
    This gives me a place to clip the ring when the boat is not on the trailer and keeps the boat / arm from going farther back than the length of the rope.
    Chain to me equals another item to me scratch shiz-nit.
    Here is a picture, kinda large. lol
    http://www.ntrplus.com/bn/sale/P1010083.JPG

Lake Ape
    One trick that I learned is keep the hole in the arm deal centered in the arm, that way if it ever does get away from you, the arm doesn't pry on the bow eye, it just rotates.

Squirtin Thunder
    i have a Sanger custom sprint jet and my bow is filled with foam. i bought it that way. my ring eye looks like its about done. its gonna be a pain getting all that foam out. anyone have any idea's?
    Get yourself a Stanley Sharptooth Crosscut saw and go for it.

Wicked Performance Boats
    The best thing I have ever seen was a short chrome shock absorber mounted on the center bar, up to the bow eye. Not only did this stop this problem but eased the shock load on the boat. Budlight

Floored
    sorry to see that on a really nice boat like yours, Jer. Bet that really "TORQUED" you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast