Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't do this to your jet!

Jeanyus
    I did that too. I was pulling out slow and a wave hit my boat just right, it stood the front bar straight up, and dug into the fiber glass. I added a loop to stop that problem.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859loop.jpg
    PS check out my home made pivot hitch.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...pivotworks.jpg

LVjetboy
    Still bugs me 'cause it's such an easy fix. Unlike a broken bow eye. And a chain, rope, or flat metal bar mounted forward that pivots up may be a good backup safety feature for towing.
    It took me by surprise because I'd never seen or heard of this happening, have pulled this boat out countless times over 14 years and I'm sure at times just as fast. Most of the time not with the trailer that deep...but sometimes, depending on ramp angle. I never paid much attention to the a-arm and how that somewhat flawed design can even allow this to happen. That's why I posted a heads up. Sure you can creep out of the water till the bunks take over. But you can't always launch shallow ramps or control wave action.
    More thoughts: The bow eye was original hardware, new in 1991. It was worn maybe 1/4 thru and failed at the wear point. The towing pin was also worn (Replaced once in 14 years) and although it didn't break it did bend...maybe contributing to failure. The mounting points for the bow eye (where metal goes thru fiberglass) and plate are still secure. There's a gouge out of the fiberglass just forward of the eye plate where the a-arm started it's crow bar action.
    Looking at the damage my guess is, if the a-arm had been restrained from excessive pivoting, this would've never happened.
    jer

LVjetboy
    jeanyus, looks good to me. Like I said, simple fix. Then no more worry. Kinda makes you wonder why the trailer mfg didn't do it right in the first place. An accident waiting to happen.
    jer

LVjetboy
    Also a smarter design. Pulling forces the bow down NOT UP!
    jer

steelcomp
    Sorry to hear about the trouble Jer. Glad it wasn't worse. Coulda popped a hole in the bow. When I got back from C3B last year, my bow eye was loose. I paid a kid 5 bucks to crawl up there with a 1/4" drive ratchet and told him to give it everything he had!

this to., happen to me! luckly I had the flat bar type .and it just bend around no damage done..
    the shock idea is the best one I 've heard yet!
    my bow eye was loose,and one of my buddies(Jr.Jetter) got me a flip up bow light and a nice peice I might add!! so when HE cut the hole in the bow to install it(I couldn't bring myself to do it)I tightened it rite up BTW the hole is like your fist big, so its a no problem to get to it
    Markist

victorfb
    steelcomp. not to nit pick your design, but if you dont have a restraint of some sort, your boat may do the same thing, but opposite direction. when on the road and you have to slam your brakes. sure would hate to see that bow coming up over the tailgate. you too may want to think about the chain, cable, whatever, to help keep the bar from flopping.

steelcomp
    steelcomp. not to nit pick your design, but if you dont have a restraint of some sort, your boat may do the same thing, but opposite direction. when on the road and you have to slam your brakes. sure would hate to see that bow coming up over the tailgate. you too may want to think about the chain, cable, whatever, to help keep the bar from flopping.I agree. It'll get done before the next outing. Thanks for the advice, Vic.

bp
    that sux jer. sorry to see it happen to you. but, the last two guys that i've known of it happening to had the thing ripped out of the bow causing a lot of glass repairwork, so coulda been worse.
    i need to modify mine before long, something along the lines of what steelcomp is showing would probably work better for me, due to space. gotta give this some thought though.. i'm sure you'll come up with something great.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast