Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a few questions on getting my barge back in shape

Fool's Money
    I have got a 1977 Avenger 171.The hull is in fair shape structurally.A few small cracks on the topside of the bow & a few scratches here & there,but none very bad.They are going to require some sort of repair though.I also want to paint the boat because the gelcoat is pitiful.The interior is shot so it's all coming out.I also want to replace the wood in the engine area & figure I might as well do it all while I'm at it.The pump is a Berk JC & it's going to come out for a rebuild & mods.Is this going to be a good pump for a family lake boat? The engine is a 455 Olds which has new internals but a crack in the #8 cylinder wall.I have a new block already.The purpose of this boat is going to be mainly cruising the area lakes & rivers.Is 60 to 65 mph going to be a reasonable expectation? What mods are recommended to achieve this?I thank you in advance for your advice or opinion.
    [This message has been edited by Fool's Money (edited July 07, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Fool's Money (edited July 07, 2001).]

Cas42
    FM,
    It should be, I got 62 out of my 18' Tahiti with the same set up. One thing about Tahiti's though is they are a pretty light hull, don't know about an Avenger.
    One suggestion while you have the boat completely apart for a new look, check the hook on the bottom. If it's more than about 1/4", smooth it out before painting, it could be worth a couple mph's.

Cas42
    oh yea, don't forget the Placervator.

If you are going to be pushing that 455 hard, you need to get Joe Mondello's tech manual. Olds has a well documented oiling problem that you need to address while engine is apart. http://www.mondellotwister.com

Cas, quit trying to sell that overpriced thing. The Aggrevator is cheaper and faster!

iparky
    hey oldspuirt, educate me on the Aggrevator. I am not familiar with it! http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...confused22.gif

Sorry, I was just joking with Cas. It goes back to some posts on the Berkeley vs Dominator topic. Both the Placervator and Aggrevator are ficticious names.

froggystyle
    Yes, they are ficticious, but the Snot Drop is real...

HBjet
    Does anyone know if the Snot Drop will work on my garden hose too? What about the shower head?
    HBjet http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy19.gif

jacuzer
    Yes it shoould work but you must have a polished garden hose/shower head for this to work. so... go polish your garden hose/shower head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast