Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP, Steering wheel very tight

Wet Dream
    I got the boat into the garage today and while doing a check on everything, I noticed that the steering cables are in desperate need of a lube job. No shit, it took all the force you can think of to turn the wheel stop to stop. Is there a good way to lube the cables? I noticed that last summer it would be a little tight until it was put into the water and then would loosen up a little, but now its bad. Give me suggestions please.
    Thanks, Bill.

Bense468
    my suggestion is to switch over to rack steering it is not that bad in price and I think you will be very happy with it. I did it on my jet a while back and right after I did they came out with a tilt wheel version. That would have been sick.

Chestah Cheetah
    I was reccomended to use chain lube in the cables. Let it drip down 'til it comes out of bottom end.

77charger
    replace it .I did to mine this month a whole rack and pinion set up w/ a galvinized cable cost me 200 but you can find cheaper.(i really needed everything)but you can probably get away changing just the cable for around 150(galvinized)they usually last me up to 4-5 years.

Wet Dream
    Should I remove everything and shoot lube into it or what?

Aduner2
    Your steering cable is shot. Replace cable is the cheapest solution, if it's still in production. May have to change the helm and the cable if not.

Wet Dream
    I waas afraid you guys were going to lead me to this.

Bubbledeck2
    No worries Wet Dream. I did my shift and steering cables last year. Mine was a little tough to get out because I have very little room.
    If you have the old Ride Guide rack like I do don't listen to everyone that says you have to change everything because the cable is not available. You can still get the cable from Mercury for around $130 or you can get the very same Mercury cable from CP Performance for about $170 ;-)

e-ticket
    I have heard that when it comes to steering:
    "When in doubt, change it out!"
    Steering is something you definitely don't want to have a problem with. The time you need it you could have a problem. I think it could cause a much too dangerous situation. Just my opinion!

Dans66Stevens
    Yup for sure on the Dangerous.......This summer I was in a marina on the ST Lawrence river. I pulled into a dock. I had to turn a little and poof no steering....WTF This is on a old V-Drive. With no reverse. This uses cloth line pulleys???? It was to loose and popped off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast