Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEED HELP, Steering wheel very tight

DickDanger
    It sounds like your steering cable needs to be changed out, but if you decide to try and lube the cable before spending the $$$ on a new one, here are my suggestions...
    1. Use some contact cleaner on the cable first. This will remove any dirt, grime, etc.
    2. If you have a compressor, use compressed air to blow out the cable. If you dont have one, spray some WD-40 on the cable next.
    3. Get a good cable lube, and shoot it until you are sure that the cable has been lubed all the way.
    This can be quite messy, so take neccessary precautions. Good luck!!! -DD out
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited February 24, 2002).]

1quickjet
    I actually had a steering cable break (!) on my Eliminator years ago. Nobodys fault but my own. I just neglected it and the cable broke through the jacket. It was a Monday on Parker, water was nice and I had just ran 70-80mph solid about 3/4 the way down the river. My hat blew off and I turned around and picked it up. Stepped on it hard, and it kept going in circles! I was very lucky it didn't break at speed. Moral of story, don't neglect your cables! BTW just replaced my steering with Morse r&p style and it is fairly stiff out of the box. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

jroos
    change cable. It is cheaper to replace the rack and pinion unit. Teleflex for 130 or a Morse cable for 180. You decide. You would be a fool not to change it.
    I screwed a grease fitting on the end of my tube. It is used on outboards. Can`t remember name (trunion?).

1stepcloser
    For sure CHANGE THE CABLE! it is really low cost compared to what can result from a broken cable http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif If there is corrosion and years of gunk built up inside the housing, there is no positive way to clean it. The cable culb be damaged in an area unseen and fail at any time. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

turbo
    jroos may have read this one in the local paper around here. about two weeks ago three fellas were going fishing in the hotwater canal, local fishing spot, boat makes hard turn throws guy on bow out, runs him over before they stop the engine he was hung up in the prop 70 Johnson. decapped him he died. the guy driving the boat was my wifes cousin. he said the steering bolt broke that hooks to the cable.the head looked fine but corroded at bottom.

BBTAHITI
    Don't let another senseless prop related accident happen to you. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif
    BB
    Originally posted by turbo:
    jroos may have read this one in the local paper around here. about two weeks ago three fellas were going fishing in the hotwater canal, local fishing spot, boat makes hard turn throws guy on bow out, runs him over before they stop the engine he was hung up in the prop 70 Johnson. decapped him he died. the guy driving the boat was my wifes cousin. he said the steering bolt broke that hooks to the cable.the head looked fine but corroded at bottom.

jroos
    Sorry to hear that turbo.

Moomawnster
    New cable man ! I broke mine at speed and found out how many 360s you can do in a Tahiti NOT FUN .... neither is being towed by a 6hp jon boat You probably have rust or water in it thats frozen. Sorry but NEW CABLE !

ratso
    a teleflex rack or rotary kit will run you $100 to$125. change it all out for less labor than you would have trying to save the old one.

INFINITEJJ
    I had a tight rotary steering unit and chose not to replace it, but to lube it and it worked a little bit. On the next trip third day in the water I turned to avoid a sandbar and broke three teeth of the pinion gear, NO STEERING. Spent the next saturday replacing the steering, which I should have done the firstime. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12