Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked out timing....

Bryan Rose
    Well
    after 2 seasons on an Accel distributor I had the chance to get a new MSD for the boat.....$ 100 smackers I thought was fair. Anyhow It was already locked out so I decided to give it a try locked out.... 36 degrees. In order to get it to start easily I put an ignition swith in after the key, I get the motor spinning over and then throw the switch ..... fires right up no problem. I can tell you this the thing idles so much better it is not funny. Mind you this was only backed in the water and setting up carbs etc.... we will see how it does in the real world this weekend. I will keep you posted....
    Any drawbacks to my set up?
    Bryan

rich seibert
    that is the hot set up
    you can add a start/retard box and nitrious retard or as many as you want
    i run mine rite on 40 and 0 to 2 degree retard

moneysucker
    That is how Mine has been set up for years. Works great.

36 degrees ... is that where you normally ran it at? (prior to the MSD?) If so, no biggie, but as rich stated you can run a delay/retard box for take off and higher RPM's ... that way you can dial it in w/ a curve to maximize performance, you'll like the MSD a lot better, have fun!
    Brian

Bryan Rose
    36 degrees ... is that where you normally ran it at? (prior to the MSD?) If so, no biggie, but as rich stated you can run a delay/retard box for take off and higher RPM's ... that way you can dial it in w/ a curve to maximize performance, you'll like the MSD a lot better, have fun!
    Brian
    Please exspain retard timing at higher rpm's..... Does it make more power with less timing over 5500 RPM's
    36 to high? or not enough?

Taylorman
    I just locked out mine on my 455. Idles great, and the throttle response is much better. No problems starting at all. I just put in an optima battery so it starts even better now. Lock it out. I have mine at 30 right now, i need to play with it to see what it likes best.
    Kevin

When I was running my jet on the river, we had the MSD at 35 degrees for take off and running at lower rpm's, we took 3-4 degrees away at higher rpm's for better fuel performance / running for longer periods (5-10 miles up river). It was nice because we had it on a Dedenbear box so we could switch it back and forth for river racing ... adding timing by making a couple of switches.
    If you're not really racing or already have a good power band, I would leave it alone and not spend all of the money, it could get expensive and not what you really need (more of a race set up).
    Good luck!
    Brian

Floored
    Taylorman I'm running 35-36 on my olds and its great. 30 was a dog.

bp
    i run 37 degrees locked, msd billet, msd 7al2. to spin it for starting, i installed a starter saver and kept it at 20 degrees retard below 800 rpm. as soon as it starts, it's at 37. much easier on the starter that way

kp216
    Taylorman - I'm not locked, but I'm running 24 degrees in the distributor with 14 initial for 38 total, all in by 3000 on my 403 Olds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast