Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Engine Clearance problems

R.A.D.man
    Hope this is not considered a hijack, but how does loose valve lash lead to moisture in the oil?

Mighty Thor
    I honestly don't know myself the technical functions but I assume that the water must come in through the exhaust and with a screwed up exhaust pulse the water ends up getting sucked into the cylinders durring the overlap. I could envision that when one cylinder is supposed to be pushing exhaust out and it is not there is a low pressure area that would tend to suck air and moisture from somewhere else. Again, I am only guessing here, but I know that there is an exhaust pulse that is intended to help scavage burned gasses from the cylinders and this can only happen by creating a pressure differential in the exhaust system. I know I tend to heed Duane's advice cause he carries good credentials with him.
    In the mean time I am looking at locking nuts for the rocker studs. When I mentioned that they were only finger tight, I mean the nuts easily spun up and down the threads of the rocker studs. Even I know that isn't supposed to be like that.
    I have decided to put my top end together right and see what happens. If the cam is goofed it won't do any more damage that there is now The Bottom end was not making any noise. and I had good oil pressure so if this fix gets me on the water for a little while I can evaluate what else needs to be done to get the whole boat sorted out. As it is, I have had this thing wet for a total of about an hour and a half and that includes loading and unloading from the trailer.

R.A.D.man
    Thor, thanks for the input on the water in the oil. I was just lost on that one.

victorfb
    if you must just reassemble the top end and run it, may i suggest you atleast find every little piece of the broken parts. flush the motor real well and after you do assemble it, check each cam lobe via the rockers to see if they are all matching lift specs. (exh to exh and intake to intake) turn it over by hand and see if all the valves are operating properly and not hitting any pistons. it is possible that you have hydrolocked the engine which would cause the bend pushrods and shattered lifters, and of course the water in the oil. there is a possability that the bottom end is just fine. but before you blow out the bottom end, make sure things are spining freely and working properly by spinning the motor by hand. a leak down test would be highly recommended aswell. a blown head gasket could have caused your problem to begin with and will do it again with maybe even worse outcome. good luck.

Squirtin Thunder
    I seem to have excessive clearance between the rocker arms and the valve stems. according to some on this list that may result in less than peak proformance and Moisture collecting on the inside of the engine. I am begining to think all those guys might be right.http://www.classicglastron.com/messa.../2856_Head.jpg
    Thor,
    Those rocker might not have a long enough slot in them and are 1.75-1 ratio. Also those nut have always sucked for me, they always get loose, I just put a set of polly locks on and calll it good. Pioneer make a set of long slot replacement rail 1.75 rockers but for the cost you can get a good set of Crane or Comp full roller rockers at 1.73-1 and they come with polly locks.
    Jim

Mighty Thor
    Thor,
    Those rocker might not have a long enough slot in them and are 1.75-1 ratio. Also those nut have always sucked for me, they always get loose, I just put a set of polly locks on and calll it good. Pioneer make a set of long slot replacement rail 1.75 rockers but for the cost you can get a good set of Crane or Comp full roller rockers at 1.73-1 and they come with polly locks.
    Jim
    Hey jim,
    I sealed the water passages and put air to the engine, it held 25 lbs and didn't leak down so I am pretty sure the block and heads are OK. I have ordered a set of locking nuts and if this thing finally gets running right I will follow up with a better valve train. How can I tell the difference between the 1.71 and 1.75 rockers? I did measure the lift and all of the exhausts matched each other so I thing the cam is ok. I made sure that everything was rotating without making contact before I started putting things back toghether and so far so good, I hope to try it again this weekend.

Squirtin Thunder
    Hey jim,
    I sealed the water passages and put air to the engine, it held 25 lbs and didn't leak down so I am pretty sure the block and heads are OK. I have ordered a set of locking nuts and if this thing finally gets running right I will follow up with a better valve train. How can I tell the difference between the 1.71 and 1.75 rockers? I did measure the lift and all of the exhausts matched each other so I thing the cam is ok. I made sure that everything was rotating without making contact before I started putting things back toghether and so far so good, I hope to try it again this weekend.
    The CJ429 are the only other BBF adjustable rockers There are also 351C adjustable rockers that are the same, 1.73-1. You can use 1.7-1 BBC rockers but must use guide plates on any non rail rocker !!! Also what length push rod are you using ???

Mighty Thor
    The CJ429 are the only other BBF adjustable rockers There are also 351C adjustable rockers that are the same, 1.73-1. You can use 1.7-1 BBC rockers but must use guide plates on any non rail rocker !!! Also what length push rod are you using ???
    Heck, I didn't Measure them, I just replaced em. I will have to measure and let you know later. my book just said to torque the nutsto 25 footpounds . if there issome other procedure for settig the lifter preload what is it? I looked at several different references and could only find the one procedure.

Squirtin Thunder
    The rocker are the same as Daves and those are 1.75 rail rockers. Those ones that Dave has are long slot Pioneers !!! I will get the link and post it up for you.

Squirtin Thunder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast